Phrases I`m getting increasingly sick of hearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
"...after 47 years, Britain is leaving the EU..."

I'm getting fed up and increasingly annoyed hearing about it. Firstly, I couldn't care less either way, so shut up and report some interesting news. Secondly, the EU was formed in 1993, and while my maths isn't the best I am pretty sure that was only 27 years ago.

So stop annoying me, and report some real news about how some chick from Love Island used to work at a topless car wash, or about Elton John's new wig. Y'know, important, interesting stuff.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Yes. Weather forecasters have their own little collection of forecaster-specific phrases though don't they. It's like they have a bet on as to who can say something the most in one shift.
It's always a "touch of frost", never a light frost, or a severe one. Always a touch. And nobody says that in real life, you come in and mention it's frosty maybe, but you never say... "Nice out love, touch of frost though on the low ground".

Maybe they have been watching this

1580464610066.png

figbat

Slippery scientist
Talking of foreignisms, how about the pronunciation of 'chorizo'? People say 'churritso' which is some king of weird hybrid of forenglish. Clearly they have recognised it is a foreign word and have applied some default foreign pronunciation, but ended up saying it neither in the mother-tongue way nor an English way. After all, if it works for 'pizza' then that's all I need to know.

perplexed

Guru
Pizza is fine, an easy one to pronounce and I've never heard it done wrongly.
Ciabatta on the other hand...

Friend of mine pronounces it 'See - A - Batter'.

Top Bottom