Phrases I`m getting increasingly sick of hearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
So, how DO you say, "Ciabatta"?
Asking for a friend...
I think its pronounced "ciabatta"

HTH 🙂

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Why do the Italians pronounce a 'c' as 'ch' but 'ch' as 'k'... eg. ciabatta and chianti :wacko:

In Italian the letter c is always a hard k sound unless it is followed by an i or an e, in which case it changes to the ch as in church sound. Same applies with the letter g. It's hard as in goal unless followed by an i or an e when it becomes like the j in journey.

Edit to add: Italian is a largely phonetic language, what you see is what you say. Spare a thought for learners of English who have to grapple with the illogical pronunciation of things like 'ough'. Why don't the words through, though, bough, cough, plough, rough, dough, trough and hiccough all sound the same?

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Aye thang-yew!
(Also very irritating, sorry...)
This is the most important bit

Drago

Legendary Member
"...after 47 years, Britain is leaving the EU..."

I'm getting fed up and increasingly annoyed hearing about it. Firstly, I couldn't care less either way, so shut up and report some interesting news. Secondly, the EU was formed in 1993, and while my maths isn't the best I am pretty sure that was only 27 years ago.

So stop annoying me, and report some real news about how some chick from Love Island used to work at a topless car wash, or about Elton John's new wig. Y'know, important, interesting stuff.

Just when I thought it was safe to turn on the tv, I find that this phenomenon has reached epidemic proportions today. Now I know why Elvis used to keep a .44 at home to shoot the tv with.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
In Italian the letter c is always a hard k sound unless it is followed by an i or an e, in which case it changes to the ch as in church sound. Same applies with the letter g. It's hard as in goal unless followed by an i or an e when it becomes like the j in journey.

Edit to add: Italian is a largely phonetic language, what you see is what you say. Spare a thought for learners of English who have to grapple with the illogical pronunciation of things like 'ough'. Why don't the words through, though, bough, cough, plough, rough, dough, trough and hiccough all sound the same?
Or, as I was taught,
I's and E's soften C's and G's...

Why do the Italians pronounce a 'c' as 'ch' but 'ch' as 'k'... eg. ciabatta and chianti :wacko:
Long read because I'm hungover, it's confusing as hell and I have nothing better to do :okay:

Italian is closely related to Vulgar Latin and keeps many of its conventions although drops some of its letters. If anything it's the Germanic languages (including English) that have everything backwards.

In Classical Latin, 'c', 'k', and 'q' were all used interchangeably depending upon where they appeared in a word to describe the sounds we recognise today as 'k' and the hard 'g'.

The Romans pronounced "c" as a hard /k/. Caesar = K-eye-zar, Cicero = Kickero.

Written Latin didn't have any native way of representing the syllable /tʃ/ (the sound we recognise in English as "ch"), hell, I can't find any sources that suggest that this sound even existed in the language.

'ch' in Italian as a hard k came from directly transliterating from Classical Greek - the Greek letter 'chi', (pronounced in Classical Greek as 'ki', written with the character 'Χ' in the Greek alphabet (because linguistics isn't confusing enough already)).

As far as I can tell the Italian 'ci' came about for two reasons:
- Greek itself evolved - the pronunciation of their letter 'chi' changed to the modern one with the /tʃ/ sound, so transliteration of modernised Greek into Latin will have reflected this change, particularly with the spread of Christianity and the existence of Church Latin
- the fall of the Western Roman Empire caused Latin to fragment into separate languages.

Why both 'ch' and 'ci' in Italian survived the change to the Greek pronunciation with different outcomes, I have no idea. It's not like the letter k doesn't exist in the Latin alphabet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom