Phrases I`m getting increasingly sick of hearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Any Americanism. Period.
As I rode my bike in on my commute this morning, I thought exactly that.

Just to help the hangover, how does this tie in with Zaragoza in Spain, originally called Caesaraugusta? Romans would have pronounced it Keyezarawguhstah (?), Spanish now pronounce it Saragohsa.
I had no idea that that was the origin of the name. You learn something every day :biggrin:

My guess is that it's probably down to transliteration errors given how many wildly different peoples have held Iberia over the centuries since the loss of Roman holdings in Hispania. 'ts', soft 'c' and 'z' all sound pretty similar and transliteration is far from an exact science.

Playing Chinese whispers over the course of a thousand years from Latin via Visigothic and Andalusian Arabic will mangle pretty much any name.
Interesting that only the 'kai' part fell off, though.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Download the app
Even work will be using one to book holidays and overtime , what about people who dont have smartphones?

I hope this doesn't become even more of a thing. I'm in my twenties and don't have a smartphone and I get enough ridicule as it is. Well I don't mind the mockery, but when things move to app only.... like the new 26-30 Railcard- you can only get it via an app, you have to use a phone for it, no physical card is available. Which is very annoying to me

figbat

Slippery scientist
I keep hearing "do you want to come with" With who or what. Really Annoying Americanism that makes no sense at all.
See I would have had that down as Germanic, from the verb mittkommen, literally “to come with”. One might say “kommen Sie mit?”, which holds the meaning “are you coming with me?” but literally translates as “come you with?” or, perhaps, “you coming with?”.

It’s possible it came from German via America, like hamburgers.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
See I would have had that down as Germanic, from the verb mittkommen, literally “to come with”. One might say “kommen Sie mit?”, which holds the meaning “are you coming with me?” but literally translates as “come you with?” or, perhaps, “you coming with?”.

It’s possible it came from German via America, like hamburgers.

I don't care where it comes from, I bloody hate it.:laugh:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Use of the word 'out' when it adds nothing to the meaning of the sentence.

I am going to blame IT engineers, any component they replace is 'swapped out'.

Garbage, if you must use swapped instead of replaced, swapped is all you need to say.

This unfortunate habit has spread to actions such as changing bike components.

Swap out the cassette, chain, wheels, etc.

And what the hell is going for a ride out?

Does anyone ever go for a ride in?

Use of the word 'out' when it adds nothing to the meaning of the sentence.

I am going to blame IT engineers, any component they replace is 'swapped out'.

Garbage, if you must use swapped instead of replaced, swapped is all you need to say.

This unfortunate habit has spread to actions such as changing bike components.

Swap out the cassette, chain, wheels, etc.

And what the hell is going for a ride out?

Does anyone ever go for a ride in?
An Americanism. Example, change a starter motor, change out a starter motor. Irritating...

Top Bottom