Phrases that will surely die out in the next 50 years ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Euthanasia is still illegal in the UK

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I assume that most of us remain familiar with phrases from the war/national service, e.g.
'in civvies'
'AWOL'
'demob happy'

(Any others ?)

Some forces phrases pass into civilian popularity, some don't. Only about 20-30 years ago civilians said they were taking a week's holiday. Now almost everyone says they're going on leave / taking leave.

I'd say that "in civvies" and AWOL have jumped that same gap and are still used.

Sandra6

Veteran
[QUOTE 4890825, member: 45"]Way[/QUOTE]

No way, man.

Beat me to it!
My brother used to have a friend called Way - although I doubt that's how it was spelt - and we never got tired of "Who's here?" "Way" "no way!"

I used the expression "bunny boiler" last week and had to explain to the 23yr old what it meant.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
When I was young, sometimes after finishing a meal, my parents used to say:
" That's another one the Germans won't get."
Recently, I tried it with the younger members of my family ( in France of course) and they asked me to explain what it meant. WW2 is so far away now that it is lost on the new generation.

Tim Hall

Dialled
Grammophone
I was at a National Trust property a couple years ago where a room was set up as it was back in the 1920s. There was a phone from the period where you could dial 1 to hear what the gardener's day was like, 2 for the chauffeur's day etc. The 8 year old children I was with understood they had to lift the receiver but were flummoxed by "dial 1". (You put your finger where? And do what?)

Iain Banks touched on this in "Whit", where there is much talk of buttoning numbers.

Top Bottom