Phrases that will surely die out in the next 50 years ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Would've...

... which seems to have morphed into 'would of' on social media. Pointing out the difference between 'have' and 'of' doesn't seem to help the afflicted writers either.

The other side is where words change and can no longer be used in the same context

The Flintstones are an established cartoon series, who in the lyrics of the theme tune had the words "You'll have a gay old time"

"Flintstones. Meet the Flintstones.
They're the modern Stone Age family.
From the town of Bedrock, they're a page right out of history.
Let's ride with the family down the street.
Through the courtesy of Fred's two feet.
When you're with the Flinstones.
We'll have a yabba-dabba-doo time.
A-dabba-doo time.
We'll have a gay ol' time."

Some 50 years later it became an outrage and slammed as an inappropriate insult to the Homosexual Community

The Flintstones are an established cartoon series, who in the lyrics of the theme tune had the words "You'll have a gay old time"
The word was already well freighted with it's modern meaning by the time the Flintstones were on TV, if not as widely known as it is now. Maybe the composers were not aware of it's other meaning, but they are in entertainment and living in Los Angeles - I'm guessing they did.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCymsoQL49c

Tin Pot

Guru
All of these will disappear.

"Phasing!"
"That's what she said."
"Can't or won't?"
"Lana!"
"Holy shitsnacks"
"Hmm, you say that..."
"I can't hear you over the sound of my awesomeness/<insert relevant term>"

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
"I'll look in the Yellow Pages" - Although I must confess to not having looked in one for a very long time.

The word was already well freighted with it's modern meaning by the time the Flintstones were on TV, if not as widely known as it is now. Maybe the composers were not aware of it's other meaning, but they are in entertainment and living in Los Angeles - I'm guessing they did.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCymsoQL49c

May indeed have been the case, however it is often to do with the context and "ownership"

Sometimes when something is appropriated by a group or movement, the original use becomes questionable as it confuses the modern context.

Top Bottom