Phrases that will surely die out in the next 50 years ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
My grandson was overheard asking his dad - "what's a map?", refering to the paper fold out variety.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I was at a National Trust property a couple years ago where a room was set up as it was back in the 1920s. There was a phone from the period where you could dial 1 to hear what the gardener's day was like, 2 for the chauffeur's day etc. The 8 year old children I was with understood they had to lift the receiver but were flummoxed by "dial 1". (You put your finger where? And do what?)

Iain Banks touched on this in "Whit", where there is much talk of buttoning numbers.
One of my many 'got it completely wrong' analyses came in the early days of mobiles, when a friend was saying pretty soon everyone would have one. I insisted that the existing system worked fine and mobiles would only ever be a rich man's toy. "One day," he said "our grandchildren will be drop-jawed at our tales of the old days: 'What, you mean to talk to someone you had to be connected to the wall by a wire?'"

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
One of my many 'got it completely wrong' analyses came in the early days of mobiles, when a friend was saying pretty soon everyone would have one. I insisted that the existing system worked fine and mobiles would only ever be a rich man's toy. "One day," he said "our grandchildren will be drop-jawed at our tales of the old days: 'What, you mean to talk to someone you had to be connected to the wall by a wire?'"

Wait till you tell them what a party line was!

In the very early days of personal mobiles, I got given use of one as part of a call out scheme I didn't want to be on.

The boss was trying to show me how to use it, but smart arse here had used phones for decades, and I found being instructed on it patronising.

I got home, threw the thing on the couch in petulance. Not long after, it rang, so I picked it up and put it to my ear, and was confused when it just continued to ring. :huh:

Reactions: gbb
given a new lease of life
We could have a whole thread about that, too.

Two I can think of that are getting a second life:

Banter, nearly gone but now back as bants**.

Cuckold, which had to be a to be explained to us at school while studying Shakespeare has now been revived as cuck** by the alt right, replacing fag - which is now apparently too offensive for the purveyors of every other sort of hate speech.

**both these abbreviations are too new for my spellchecker.

Top Bottom