Picked up from another thread pootle or what( POLL)

How many pootlers

• Poottle

Votes: 43 56.6%
  • Race

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Fast Ride 16mph + average

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • TTs

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Medium Ride 14mph average

Votes: 15 19.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
14 mph average is a fast ride for me!
This

Alan O

Über Member
At my age and state of health I pootle. I used to have a computer on each of my bikes and trikes and spent a lot of time trying to get the average speed up on each ride. I had one fail on me and realised that I'd enjoyed that ride far more than my last hundred. I then removed all of my computers, forgot about speed and enjoyed every ride rather than obsessing about an extra 0.1mph.
One of the first things I did when I rebuilt my old bike in 2016 was put a cycle computer on it - I'd had one of those wheel-mounted belt-driven odometers on it before, as I like to keep a track of total distance. I also got a second computer to fit on another bike I was building from scratch.

But I found it distracting, and I couldn't stop looking at it and thinking about my speed while I really should have been enjoying my surroundings more, and I ended up removing it (and I didn't fit one on the second bike). I do use a fitbit or iPhone to do GPS tracking, but the fitbit is on my wrist and/or the iPhone is in my bag, and they're not distracting like that - and I don't look at them until after I get back home.

Maenchi

StoneDog
My average speed is usually on or near 10mph, on a flat ride for 2miles I got 12&14mph on 2 different rides that's fast for me , I agree with the pootle being a state of mind.......over say a 25mile ride even if i'm 'going for it' or 'trying for it' more like.. I still get 10mph average. .serious pootling brings it to nearer 6-7 mph. Frequently/every time, on the road when a road bike rider passes me which they always do i'm amazed at the speed they/you go at.........and it's sunny right now so i'm off for a couple of hours round the coast road......:smile:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Very much depends on how long the ride is and if your working from a time and distance calculation or some fictitious average speed calculated by RWGPS ot similar mapping websites.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm in a state of flux as said on the other pootle thread. ...im getting to the stage I'm a permanent pootler but can achieve 14mph average although I can't do the distances anymore. Come the spring and summer I'll try to be more a 14mph average, maybe 15...but for now, I'm a pootler....hovering around 13 to 14 mph, but its still hard.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I really don't think I could ever bimble or pootle in the conventional sense, however slow I get. So from now on I'm going to call myself a trundler - a pootler who doesn't stop, perhaps.

I've voted for "medium ride", although looking at where I am at the moment, 14mph seems utterly inconceivable.

But not so many months ago I did this:

Apr19.jpg
Apr19map.jpg

It must be my wheels. Or tyres. :unsure:

Last edited:

Alan O

Über Member
I really don't think I could ever bimble or pootle in the conventional sense, however slow I get. So from now on I'm going to call myself a trundler - a pootler who doesn't stop, perhaps.

I've voted for "medium ride", although looking at where I am at the moment, 14mph seems utterly inconceivable.

But not so many months ago I did this:

View attachment 390446 View attachment 390447

It must be my wheels. Or tyres. :unsure:
You forgot the one piece of vital information that would explain everything - what pressure were you running? ^_^

Being serious, what strikes me most about that is that you were only stopped for less than 7 minutes! When I did a 100-miler last year my moving time totaled 9 hours (ave speed 11 mph), but my lapsed time was nearer 12 hours.

si_c

Guru
Depends on the ride. Commutes tend to be a sprint, as fast as I can, aiming for a 20 average out and back. Other times I'll amble along around 16mph average.

Top Bottom