Picking up first road bike

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Idoru, 17 Aug 2012.

1. Idoru

Idoru Well-Known Member

Off to the LBS tomorrow to pick up the new bike.

Other than making sure it's adjusted to fit me what else should I be asking / watching out for?

2. Pauluk

Pauluk Senior Member

There's not a great deal you can do until you ride it and use the gears, brakes etc 'in anger'.

If it were me I would check simple things like: are there any scratches to the paintwork or dents to the frame. Spin the wheels to check they were true and the brakes weren't binding. Check the movement in the brake levers, that this isn't too excessive. You could lift the back wheel and check the gear change, but that won't prove them fully. Check the cranks and pedals for play.

Like I say, its not until you get to ride it properly that you may spot problems so just check the simple things first, particularly the frame. If you can ride it in the car park if they have one or just take it round the block then that may be worth it to save you a trip back over something simple.

Good luck, hope it goes well.

3. cyberknight

cyberknight Wibble

Great !!
    Why did you choose that forum name? reminds me of a book by one of my favourite writers :smile:

4. Herr-B

Herr-B Senior Member

Check rubbing of cables against frame and ask for some helicopter tape to put on it to protect these areas.

From dog and bone, using Tapatalk2.

5. OP
    OP
    Idoru

Idoru Well-Known Member

If the author was William Gibson you've hit the nail on the head.

cyberknight likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Idoru

Idoru Well-Known Member

Lol, had to Google helicopter tape in case it was something like a glass hammer or tartan paint ^_^

WobblyBob likes this.
  7. cyberknight

cyberknight Wibble

Currently re reading virtual light :smile:

8. david k

david k Hi

not taht im aware of but good luck with your purchase, enjoy it and ride it^_^

9. OP
    OP
    Idoru

Idoru Well-Known Member

Erm... I not sure how this split into 2 threads.... I'm probably not driving my browser properly again.

Could a mod delete this one please.

Apologies

david k likes this.
  10. terry_gardener

terry_gardener Über Member

click the report button and ask for it to be deleted.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice