Picking up first road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Idoru

Off to the LBS tomorrow to pick up the new bike.

Other than making sure it's adjusted to fit me what else should I be asking / watching out for?

Pauluk

There's not a great deal you can do until you ride it and use the gears, brakes etc 'in anger'.

If it were me I would check simple things like: are there any scratches to the paintwork or dents to the frame. Spin the wheels to check they were true and the brakes weren't binding. Check the movement in the brake levers, that this isn't too excessive. You could lift the back wheel and check the gear change, but that won't prove them fully. Check the cranks and pedals for play.

Like I say, its not until you get to ride it properly that you may spot problems so just check the simple things first, particularly the frame. If you can ride it in the car park if they have one or just take it round the block then that may be worth it to save you a trip back over something simple.

Good luck, hope it goes well.

Herr-B

Check rubbing of cables against frame and ask for some helicopter tape to put on it to protect these areas.

From dog and bone, using Tapatalk2.

OP
OP
Idoru

Idoru

Erm... I not sure how this split into 2 threads.... I'm probably not driving my browser properly again.

Could a mod delete this one please.

Apologies

Top Bottom