Pigeon Deterrent.... Any ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
We've introduced a bird feeder in our back garden since the lockdown began for the children to watch the small birds feed.
However its also introduced some pigeons into the garden, which are becoming a nuisance.

Does anyone here know of a humane way to deter them...?

Drago

Legendary Member
Cat.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Every pigeon we get in our garden is called Biggie. That's after the first (and possibly current) fat bird. He can really empty a bird feeder! A lot of the food ends up on the ground that attracts your birds that can't dangle from a feeder.
Yes, Biggie is a pain but we have learned to get on with him. We even drove 50 miles with one of his knocked senseless and very underweight offspring in a box to be nursed back to health at a wildlife hospital.
And anyway, as I said to the wife, it's bird food and that's a bird. What more do you want?

Pigeons are 100% vegetarian so insect based stuff they will avoid.

Same here with starlings. We had to take the feeder down for a while until they gave up and went off to the neighbours who seem to love them. We have re-introduced it and seems OK. Have you looked up on the net about deterring pigeons ? I did with Starlings but the RSPB had it wrong about starlings. They said that they only like to feed horizontally or words to the effect. Are they kidding ? These ones are acrobats, learnt all their skills off the blue tits. Good luck.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Airgun
When successful do not dispose of the corpse
Leave it as a warning

geocycle

Legendary Member
This guy also did a good job last month! Found a pile of feathers the day after.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Wood pigeons will happily eat whole peanuts, I watch it every day.

I don't deter anything, they all have their own feeding times and after some years of pigeon shooing I've finally accepted that no species is more worthy than others and I might as well let them get on. I put some food in flat dishes low down, the pigeons prefer feeding from that and then the small birds get the feeders to themselves, mostly. Blackbirds and robins hoover the floor for whatever is dropped. I get a lot of black squirrels too, they're also welcome.

I still shoo magpies, but that's because this time of year they're trying to eat blackbird chicks. I know it's natural behaviour but the blackbird nest is in my garden and I feel quite protective of their young.

Top Bottom