Pilot Bikes, Dutch Ti frames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
They are indeed very nicely finished, the welds seems excellent, very neat, and the machined parts of the frame are nicely designed :becool:

The rims on this demo bike are carbon - judging by the look of the chainset and cassette it hasn't been ridden yet, I'm hoping to get out on it tomorrow morning if my legs have recovered from todays excursion but will give feedback as soon as I do :okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I took it for a spin this morning. My legs were in pieces from yesterdays mountain bike antics so I didn't go far but it was enough to tell it rides very nicely indeed. The frame feels very stiff around the bottom bracket, I was expecting a little flex but it was better than expected. It was also very comfortable, something that my partially broken body was very pleased about and, accidentally, a very good test for how it might feel on longer rides. It feels very light, although I forgot to weigh it - certainly feels closer to the weight of my XR3 than my Roubaix which can't be a bad thing :becool: If I remember I'll weigh it in the morning but I've agreed to take it back tomorrow afternoon :sad:

On the plus side I spent an hour or so inspecting the frame and making notes before emailing them a list of questions about potential minor tweaks to cable routing, geometry etc. If these are answered satisfactorily and the customisation costs are acceptable I will almost certainly be placing an order :becool:

20190414_114545.jpg

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I forgot to weigh it :laugh: D'oh... Its back with Elmy Cycles now while we wait for a response from Pilot about the customisations I've requested. In the meantime I took the opportunity to pop the wheels on the Bianchi to centre them up properly and put some weight on them for the first time. No trauma's, the unbranded carbon rims are still in one piece so that's the first hurdle cleared :laugh:

20190415_173710.jpg
20190415_173727.jpg

I'm not convinced the purple is well suited to the Celeste of the Bianchi :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Feedback from Pilot is very positive; they are very responsive and seem willing to make any customisation you ask for whilst knowledgeable enough to explain why it might not be a good idea :laugh:

I am now waiting for final confirmation and price for my requested changes before I order the frameset. I'm told lead time will be up to 12 weeks so will have a bit of a wait but I'm sure it will be worth it. They apparently have a standard frameset in my size in stock and could have it to me within a week but I am set on a custom now :laugh:

Exciting! ^_^

Harry Jacques

zow he! Custom made frames, that's their corebusiness in which they are totally different from other producers. I read somewhere that more thans 50% off their bikes sold are custom made: they produce exactly conform your wishes (unless your ideas are not good). You will get a bike that s the only one in the whole world!! :notworthy::notworthy:

Last edited:

BSOh

Über Member
Feedback from Pilot is very positive; they are very responsive and seem willing to make any customisation you ask for whilst knowledgeable enough to explain why it might not be a good idea :laugh:

I am now waiting for final confirmation and price for my requested changes before I order the frameset. I'm told lead time will be up to 12 weeks so will have a bit of a wait but I'm sure it will be worth it. They apparently have a standard frameset in my size in stock and could have it to me within a week but I am set on a custom now :laugh:

Exciting! ^_^

I can't wait to see all that purple loveliness on it :wub:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I can't wait to see all that purple loveliness on it :wub:

Me neither :laugh: I've been adding to my pile of bits too... New Hope BB arrived today :okay:

20190423_213152.jpg

Exciting day today - I went in to the lbs and put a 50% deposit down on a custom Veturi frameset :becool: Now it's a waiting game :laugh: 10 to 12 weeks officially but I'm told it will likely be slightly less :hungry:

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Apparently I will get to see and sign off technical drawings of my frameset in the near future :blush: This is quite exciting to an engineer such as myself :laugh:

I've ordered a few more bits - some decals for the rims, a new aeroclam saddle storage box and the last few Di2 cables. I'm quite excited about the rim decals, I've gone for purple skulls :laugh: I have no idea how they'll look but I saw them and decided to give them a try :laugh:

skull-section-rim-decals-26102-p.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I'm still waiting; the drawings are all done and signed off and the frame is now in production, I'm waiting for news of a delivery date but shouldn't be too long now. There will be lots of pictures once its here as I build it up :okay:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’ve only just discovered this thread! How did I miss it? This is very interesting stuff and the bike looks amazing.

Top Bottom