Pilot Bikes, Dutch Ti frames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
It arrived today, super exciting! I popped out at lunchtime to collect it from the lbs as I couldnt wait until the end of the day - I then had to sit in meetings all afternoon knowing it was outside waiting for me :laugh:

20190902_172941.jpg

First impressions of the frame - the finishing detail is very very good. The welds are all very neat, the logo's are very well defined and the engraved head badge is beautiful. There has been some really fine workmanship put in to this frame :okay:

20190902_174028.jpg

20190902_174140.jpg
20190902_174109.jpg
20190902_174101.jpg
20190902_174048.jpg

As you can expect I didn't waste much time getting started with assembly :laugh: First things first I popped the headset and forks in to see the complete frameset for the first time...

20190902_175531.jpg

Next on went the bars and stem - I'll cut the steerer to length later when it's all built up and I've got it riding as I want it. I ran the Di2 cables and brake hoses through the frame with no issues and fitted the mechs, BB and seatpost. The brake calipers went on and the hoses were connected up but I havent yet filled them with fluid.

20190902_204150.jpg

On went the wheels and chainset...

20190902_211435.jpg

This is where I noticed a problem. The rear Hope RX4 flatmount calipers aren't technically correct to the flatmount standard. Hope decided to modify the dimensions to make them fit a 160mm rotor without an adapter whereas the standard assumes a 140mm rotor on the rear. Unfortunately it seems Pilot have had the same idea, and modified the frame mount points so a standard flatmount caliper will fit a 160mm rotor with no adapter. This has obviously doubled the difference meaning I now need a 180mm rotor to fit in the caliper :wacko:

20190902_210633.jpg

Bit of an issue so I've emailed Hope for advice. I guess it's possible that they could machine me a custom caliper, but it's also possible that a post mount caliper with the right adapter would fit with less fuss. We shall see :laugh: I certainly don't want a 180mm disc on the back end of a road bike :laugh:

The other niggle is I'd not realised my old Deda carbon seatpost wouldn't fit, so I've had to order a new one. These few niggles are only minor but will mean I'm unlikely to be riding it in the immediate future which is a little disappointing but I've waited this long so another few weeks isn't going to kill me :whistle:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Looks very nice, up with all the alternatives in terms of build quality judging by the welds. Odd issue with the brake mounts...C+ tested a Veturi back in 2017, that one had a flat mount/post mount combo.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Hi John, congrats! and i hope the problems will be solved soon so you can finally enjoy riding your fantastic bike! i love the lots of photograps (with details) you placed here on this forum.

Thanks Harry! I'm making progress on the brake problem as you'll see below ^_^

Looks very nice, up with all the alternatives in terms of build quality judging by the welds. Odd issue with the brake mounts...C+ tested a Veturi back in 2017, that one had a flat mount/post mount combo.

Yes this frame is actually a new version for this year, previous versions had IS mounts on the frame with an IS to post mount adapter and flat mount on the front forks. This version is much neater and, unless you happen to use Hope calipers, is very simple. Unfortunately I hadn't foreseen these problems or I would have asked them to modify the brake mounts but such is life :laugh:

Anyway I popped in to the lbs again this afternoon after work and had a play with a post mount version of the Hope caliper. It looked promising, so I handed over some pieces of silver and took it away with me for a play :laugh:

First I had a rummage through my odds and sods bin and found the closest adapter I had and started playing with washers until I had the caliper where it needed to sit...

20190903_180940.jpg

Next I took the assembly up to my study and built a quick CAD model of what it needed to look like.

20190903_212659.jpg

With this done it was time to fire up the 3D printer for the first time in over a year :laugh: Miraculously it worked first time with no swearing :laugh:

20190903_220155.jpg

20190903_230956.jpg

A few hours later I had a finished prototype to tap and bolt on. Fingers crossed!

20190904_000056.jpg
20190904_000136.jpg

It's bloody close, but I'm calling that a success :becool::laugh: I've emailed myself the CAD data for a colleague to machine for me tomorrow ^_^

While I was at it I modified the rear mech cage but didn't take photos. I'll pop some details up tomorrow if I remember. I also fitted the chain and the titanium bottle cages I've had squirreled away for just this moment :laugh: She's coming together!

20190904_000654.jpg

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I broke my tap off in the new CNC'd adaptor this evening. After a bit of a tantrum I decided it was meant to be, so I've updated the CAD model to make it a little neater and sent it off to various prototyping companies for quotes. I'll get it milled nicely and anodised black, may as well do it properly :okay:

Otherwise I had a productive evening. I built it back up with the 3D printed plastic brake mount in order to bleed the brakes and set the Di2 indexing. I've trimmed the steerer to length and gone over all the bolts to check they're correctly torqued. She's now locked away until the new brake mount is ordered, milled, shipped and fitted :smile: Not before I'd ridden her around in circles on the drive for a little while of course :tongue:

20190904_223009.jpg
20190904_222932.jpg
20190904_222807.jpg
20190904_222749.jpg
20190904_222648.jpg
20190904_222622.jpg

CXRAndy

Guru
Lovely looking bike, with excellent attention to detail in the build. I like the thin seat stays, that will help with ride comfort.

I loved the equipment to 3D print a caliper bracket:okay:

What tyre sizes can this frame take?

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Yup 32mm max tyre size :okay:

Colleague very kindly machined me another mount today ^_^

20190904_151300.jpg

This time he tapped the holes in the mill so I couldn't mess it up :laugh:

20190905_172759.jpg

I finished it up with a dremel; chamfered the edges and neatened up a few sharp points. I then masked it up, primed it and sprayed it Matt black...

20190905_181744.jpg

Here it is once the paint had cured a little and I'd removed the masking...

20190905_184952.jpg
20190905_184957.jpg

I already knew it would fit but I was still relieved when it bolted straight on with no problems :laugh:

20190905_185848.jpg
20190905_185833.jpg

So that's it, she's built! I just need to get out and ride her now!! :wub:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
First few photos of her outdoors in daylight :smile:

20190905_193501.jpg
20190905_193346.jpg
20190905_193419.jpg
20190905_193404.jpg

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Hi John, last week you finished building up your bike....how does it ride?

I've only ridden it about 60 miles so far but it rides beautifully :okay:

It's pretty stiff so accelerates well and corners very nicely :smile: the curved seat stays really help to smooth out the bumps - I think it's going to be super comfy on longer rides and isnt much slower or heavier than my Bianchi :okay:

Overall I'm really pleased with it :wub: I would certainly recommend the Veturi to anyone looking for a ti frameset :okay:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
It's pretty stiff so accelerates well and corners very nicely :smile: the curved seat stays really help to smooth out the bumps - I think it's going to be super comfy on longer rides and isnt much slower or heavier than my Bianchi :okay:

My first ride on Ti was my Van Nic, didn't feel as stiff & fast as carbon, but when I got home I'd averaged 21.5mph over 20+ miles, still my fastest ride to date. It didn't feel fast, but more comfy. Still don't find Ti as stiff & responsive on climbs, but I can live with that for all the other benefits ^_^

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
My first ride on Ti was my Van Nic, didn't feel as stiff & fast as carbon, but when I got home I'd averaged 21.5mph over 20+ miles, still my fastest ride to date. It didn't feel fast, but more comfy. Still don't find Ti as stiff & responsive on climbs, but I can live with that for all the other benefits ^_^

Yeah, its stiffer than I thought a ti frame would be as its known for its springy properties - I guess the large lightly ovalised tubes around the bottom bracket area help a lot with that. It's not as stiff as the Bianchi but I certainly wouldnt call it flexy :okay:

I had a hankering for a Van Nic, they're a bit special too :becool:

Top Bottom