Pimp my mince pie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
My ex MIL was a fantastic cook (I still miss her :smile:) and did the best mince pies. Possibly nearly as good as yours Summerdays :blush:. She used to make them by the dozen (tens of dozen!). The shop bought crap with sawdust filled pastry and barely a smidge of filling are no comparison.

Good ideas about cheese and brandy butter on them.

Elmers Marmite mince pie is a belter :smile:.

SamNichols

My parents have got some friends who are bakers: every year it is one present, and one present alone: a box of the best mince pies known to man. Brilliant pastry and he improves bog standard mince meat by adding a load of brandy to it and mixing it up. The bakery's in Gerrard's Cross should you ever want to get some.

Surprisingly good is making mince meat as it was originally: adding actual mince to the spices and baking it yourself. A very unusual main course, not quite sweet, not quite savoury. I love Christmas - it's the yummiest time of year.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Marmite mince pies are only recommended for detestable work colleagues or as a jolly good jape on a good work friend, just make sure they're not bigger than you, it took a week for my 'dead arm' to recover !! (Even though he had given me an egg custard sprinkled with black pepper beforehand !)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Kirstie said:
ROFL @ Elmer - the marmite mince pie is a winner!
I prefer brandy butter as cheese is waaaay too Yorkshire for my liking.

No, actually, it was recommended to me by a colleague in Leicester, when I still lived there. She used Stilton, so there's the Leicestershire connection.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Dayvo said:
Would it work with Red Leicester? :blush:

I think it would have to be the really good, mature sort, that almost crumbles, rather than the plasticy supermarket sort (of which I could nonetheless easily eat several pounds a day if unrestrained). I think plasticy cheese would melt in a gooey way, which would be bad, whereas something crumbly, like Stilton or Wensleydale melts differently... The cheese needs to have some bite to it, both in sharpness of taste, and texture.

Arch said:
I think it would have to be the really good, mature sort, that almost crumbles, rather than the plasticy supermarket sort (of which I could nonetheless easily eat several pounds a day if unrestrained). I think plasticy cheese would melt in a gooey way, which would be bad, whereas something crumbly, like Stilton or Wensleydale melts differently... The cheese needs to have some bite to it, both in sharpness of taste, and texture.

My mouth IS watering! I haven't eaten mince pies for four years! I'll make up for it this year, though, with a vengeance! :smile: :blush:

Arch said:
No, actually, it was recommended to me by a colleague in Leicester, when I still lived there. She used Stilton, so there's the Leicestershire connection.

Any excuse to revive the old 'wars of the roses' hang up...but they do it in Leicestershire too? Gah! I'm moving!! :blush:

Top Bottom