Pinarello Dogma F12 vs. Lapierre Aircode SL700 Ultimate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Lookrider comments
^^^^^^This in spades, and it is refreshingly different to not get nasty comments about frame material choice or lavish expense. Buy what you REALLY WANT. Disc brakes on a road bike is a personal choice and again it’s your choice. I think they look ok and probably the future of all road bikes.

Well said @Lookrider. I don’t have that much “disposable” cash and have to settle for around a 1/10 of that.

This is my ride, bought secondhand but barely used from a teen who had “outgrown” the bike; in other words could not be bothered to change the stem length and bar width to accommodate the now larger teen who was only 5ft 7 like me. It’s a 48cm seatpost and a 52cm top tube. I put a 110mm stem on, wider bars and swapped the cranks for a slightly longer pair as I prefer a slower cadence. All in all it cost in the region of £350. I love it, very comfortable and fairly light. I don’t think I’ll chop it in as I love the simplicity of rim brakes.

I would love to have a Planet X London Road for winter running is bonkers green but they don’t do Halfords Cycle2work and to date unsuccessfully lobbied HR to jump ship.

Attachments

• 326054E0-9242-487F-B747-A97B7D3FD3F2.jpeg
    326054E0-9242-487F-B747-A97B7D3FD3F2.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Thank you .... I agree with the disc brake comment and I only ride in the dry so rim brakes are perfectly adequate imo.... I mentioned ‘extravagance’ in my op but the frame sprayers you linked to are well past extravagant .... they’re truly exotic :wacko:

Haha! But seriously, imagine how special something like that would feel? Why not, you've got the folding. Go for it!

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
possibly Hampstead Heath, he’s norf of the river ... although given his love of junk, maybe he is actually a womble?
You got there in the end @vickster 😀 Let’s call him up and see what he has to say about saving four large on a pushrod @SkipdiverJohn

si_c

Guru
Of the two, I prefer the looks of the F12, partly as I prefer the aesthetics of the clean fork crown that you get with discs.

You're in the lucky position that you can choose which of these two you want, in terms of value I think the Lapierre is the better choice if it's similar spec, €4k isn't justified by the uplift for disc brakes.

You could take the extra cash and drop in an additional wheelset - deep section would be nice say some 60mm deep wheels along with some really nice skinwall tyres. You'd still have nearly €3k left over too.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Nothing wrong with the LaPierre and I'd have one any time, but the Dogma is gorgeous and my goodness, it's such an iconic bike. I think it sounds like you're leaning that way and I understand that, when I was looking for a particular bike (not quite that level of expenditure but still....) I had my heart set on the dearest option, the looks of it, the reputation, the quality.... Yes I could have saved a wedge by getting something else that could do the job, but I went ahead and bought that bike that had grabbed me, and I'm so, so happy with it. I know deep down that even though they were as capable, if I bought one of the slightly cheaper options that didn't quite grab me, I'd always be wondering.

You have the money, you probably deserve it, so treat yourself. And more power to you.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Disc brakes are an abomination on road bikes, so the Lapierre it must be.

They certainly are an abomination, and I would not pull a dumped disc-braked beater out of a builders skip, let alone spend upwards of four bags on a new road bike with the blades of the butchers bacon slicer bolted to the wheels.

Skipdiver must be on his holibobs.

Wrong, I needed some shuteye as I was knackered after finishing work.

possibly Hampstead Heath, he’s norf of the river ... although given his love of junk, maybe he is actually a womble?

Only blokes of a certain persuasion spend time loitering on Hampstead Heath, and I ain't one of those!

Won’t be anything nice or positive about the OP I am sure

Am I going to have an attack of high end carbon envy, because someone has got the readies? No, because even though I've also got the cash, if I'm spending that much on something with wheels on it, it won't be a push bike of any kind. I expect an engine for that sort of money, not pedals. Neither appeals to me, but given the choice, a less ugly rim-braked bike at half the price is a bit of a no-brainer. Let the dentists pay for their status symbols, don't follow the herd and save a nice chunk of cash into the bargain.

Last edited:
Top Bottom