Pinarello Dogma F12 vs. Lapierre Aircode SL700 Ultimate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
I was about to hand over the readies for this F12 when my friend that owns my LBS offered this Lapierre .... if he wanted similar money for each I wouldn’t be seeking your advice / common sense. He’s offered the Lapierre to me at €3995 which is half of the €7995 asking price for the Dogma F12 .... and therein lies my problem. Both are similar spec Ultegra Di2, decent wheelsets, similar cockpits etc... . Could I ever convince myself that the F12 is worth the extra ?. Can I pass this over to the CC collective to talk some sense into me (or otherwise) .
By the way, I don’t smoke, drink, drive my own car or anything else and cycling is my only hobby so a little extravagance can be excused .... I’m at an age where I won’t be buying another new bike so I can’t make a mistake and spend the next few years regretting my decision ... so no pressure !. I’ve attached a pic of each to help visualise .... these are the actual bikes by the way ...

Last edited:
Ride them both and see which one you prefer. If I am honest, if this is your final bike purchase to last you to old age then neither as you’ll become less flexible and require a more relaxed position over time so look at something else entirely like a gravel or adventure bike.

OP
OP
Colin Grigson

Colin Grigson

Ride them both and see which one you prefer. If I am honest, if this is your final bike purchase to last you to old age then neither as you’ll become less flexible and require a more relaxed position over time so look at something else entirely like a gravel or adventure bike.
I get what you’re saying, but it’s road bike only for me - that part of the decision is made ... appreciate your thoughts though :becool:

OP
OP
Colin Grigson

Colin Grigson

I would be over the moon with the Lapierre (in my opinion a better looking bike) and I’d be even more delighted to have an extra €4000 in the bank.
That’s the crux of the issue ... €4K is a heck of a lot of money ... but I’m thinking that long after the price is forgotten - will I be as happy with the Lapierre as with the Pinarello. If the answer to that is ‘no’ ... then I must go with the Pinarello ... the agony of choice :wacko:

@Colin Grigson i assume this will be your nice summer bike that doesn’t see rain and mud and muck?

If so, my choice is the Lapierre on the basis it’s a rim braked bike and you don’t need discs. Also a wheel is a wheel, you don’t need to faff about with matching thru axles etc but the trade off is longevity. If I was in your position I would spend the remainder of the cash on some very swish carbon rims that make a cool swish as you pedal on by!

OP
OP
Colin Grigson

Colin Grigson

Disc brakes are an abomination on road bikes, so the Lapierre it must be. Black is boring - spend some of the spare readies on a respray; these people seem reassuringly expensive, just for instance.

https://colecoatingsworkshop.com/#/cervelo-house-special/
Thank you .... I agree with the disc brake comment and I only ride in the dry so rim brakes are perfectly adequate imo.... I mentioned ‘extravagance’ in my op but the frame sprayers you linked to are well past extravagant .... they’re truly exotic :wacko:

OP
OP
Colin Grigson

Colin Grigson

@Colin Grigson i assume this will be your nice summer bike that doesn’t see rain and mud and muck?

If so, my choice is the Lapierre on the basis it’s a rim braked bike and you don’t need discs. Also a wheel is a wheel, you don’t need to faff about with matching thru axles etc but the trade off is longevity. If I was in your position I would spend the remainder of the cash on some very swish carbon rims that make a cool swish as you pedal on by!
I like your thinking bikingdad .... I’m moving that way :becool: and yes, nice summer bike only ...

OP
OP
Colin Grigson

Colin Grigson

Mates is mates so you gotta go for the Lapierre.

That looks suspiciously like a granny rear cassette on the Pinarello :ohmy:
Sorry, I didn’t make it clear ... he has both for sale new - he’ll be happy to sell either. I think the cassette looks granny because of the brake disc making it look larger than actual - I seem to recall both are 11/28 :becool:.

Lookrider

I admire your honesty and integrity about your wishes
I thought you would get a load of sarcasm just because your in a position to spend so much
I bought a high end S works s few years back ..I was wanting the tarmac but went for a roubaix as I was getting older and the roubaix had relaxed geometry...looking g back I'd rather have had the stiffer bike as I feel I put myself down a little and I wasn't getting as old as fast as I thought
You may be the same ...I doubt you will break your back on a dogma ..yes it is stiff bit it's an all round bike as well
I hired a dogma in Puerto polenso in majorca did 40 to 60 miles a day for 5 days on it.. never came back crippled or aching from it
Its 4k extra yes and will you save 4k
But will you "waste" 4k on a lapiere as its NOT what you really wanted
You will always wonder what if I just got that dogma
Hang off till next year ..ineos are not going great if they loose a sponsor or jump ship then I assume the dogma will come crashing down in price
The advice you always hear about anything ...Is "buy the best you can afford"...bikes are your thing
Think how much the satisfaction is worth by spending a little more...maybe not in components but giving you good mental health and well being in owning a quality bike
Good luck in your decision and I'm glad you did not get a lot of jealous posts
By the way ...pinerello experience who hire the dogmas in majorca will also sell you a used ex hire one as well ..you would not tell they were used that much as they literally have 30 to 50 dogmas hung up and the same amount GANs and other models...get a weekend booked out there and try it out on flat smooth rds
Long slow climbs ..steep climbs ..gravel rds ..bumpy rds majorca has them all..no good riding round a car park then handing over a load of cash

Fraz21

Regular
I was about to hand over the readies for this F12 when my friend that owns my LBS offered this Lapierre .... if he wanted similar money for each I wouldn’t be seeking your advice / common sense. He’s offered the Lapierre to me at €3995 which is half of the €7995 asking price for the Dogma F12 .... and therein lies my problem. Both are similar spec Ultegra Di2, decent wheelsets, similar cockpits etc... . Could I ever convince myself that the F12 is worth the extra ?. Can I pass this over to the CC collective to talk some sense into me (or otherwise) .
By the way, I don’t smoke, drink, drive my own car or anything else and cycling is my only hobby so a little extravagance can be excused .... I’m at an age where I won’t be buying another new bike so I can’t make a mistake and spend the next few years regretting my decision ... so no pressure !. I’ve attached a pic of each to help visualise .... these are the actual bikes by the way ... View attachment 558987
View attachment 558988
If get wet in the winter F12 is the right choice

Top Bottom