Pinarello Treviso

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I didn't think you'd fall into that trap John, only top end bikes were built with 'Gas Specification' tubing BITD (it was a mark of quality)[/QUOTE
The day
A bit more gas-pipe to make a decision about :
$_57.JPG

carpenter

Über Member
I think the opposite of a "central" producer of frames was the case . Hence you get all sorts of innovation and development of steel composition. On the other hand l bet there was a fair amount of "poaching" ideas and craftsmen between the manufacturers.

It's not the innovation/development that I was referring to - I am sure that you are correct on that.
It's the styling: full chrome forks, with logo engraving
seat tube struts/stays, elongated (again with engraved logo)
rear quarter chroming, often with brake bridge painted (and part of rear derailleur hanger also painted)

I love the look - not something that I would associate with British bikes (we seemed to go for fancy lugs and lug lining which also give me great pleasure :blush:).
Please be gentle - I have limited experience of bike styling, just my initial thoughts :smile:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
It's not the innovation/development that I was referring to - I am sure that you are correct on that.
It's the styling: full chrome forks, with logo engraving
seat tube struts/stays, elongated (again with engraved logo)
rear quarter chroming, often with brake bridge painted (and part of rear derailleur hanger also painted)

I love the look - not something that I would associate with British bikes (we seemed to go for fancy lugs and lug lining which also give me great pleasure :blush:).
Please be gentle - I have limited experience of bike styling, just my initial thoughts :smile:
I am always gentle....l used to have another life in Diss :hello:
I probably have no more accurate idea than you but l guess that just like everyone else in whatever business, you keep your eye on the market and whatever is selling well and then follow suit !

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I didn't think you'd fall into that trap John, only top end bikes were built with 'Gas Specification' tubing BITD (it was a mark of quality)

You're right, at one time steel tube good enough to use to pipe gas around was considered to be of a high and consistent quality. I wonder when the term began to be used in a negative context? My old 3 speed is plain hi-tensile and I'd consider it the most comfortable riding frame I have, although it's probably mostly down to geometry in this case.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You're right, at one time steel tube good enough to use to pipe gas around was considered to be of a high and consistent quality. I wonder when the term began to be used in a negative context? My old 3 speed is plain hi-tensile and I'd consider it the most comfortable riding frame I have, although it's probably mostly down to geometry in this case.
3 of my Raleighs are 'Hi Ten' the other is 531c, the Carlton is 'Truwel'

Top Bottom