Ping: fellow depressives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Twenty Inch said:
What do you do when it starts coming down again? I need your help. PM me if you don't want to out yourself here.

Thoughts gratefully received.

TI

Is it the "what if?" situation? If so, the best advice I was ever given was that there is no "what if?" Helped me no end.

Alan;)

I don't get 'depressed' in itself!

I suffer from SAD and actively seek go away for a few months each winter (especially living here in Scandinavia where it is UNBEARABLE) to sun and warmth.

If things get me down, I try and do something about it; if I can't then it's time to move on (menatlly and/or physically).

I appreciate that not everyone lives the kind of lifestyle I do, but the pieces are slowly into place.

I think trying to remain active (physically and mentally) helps with maintaining a positive mood, as does having something to look forward to: a holiday, a visit somewhere, going on a course to learn/do something!

Hope you start picking up again soon! :smile:

AlanW

Guru
Twenty Inch said:
What do you do when it starts coming down again? I need your help. PM me if you don't want to out yourself here.

Thoughts gratefully received.

TI

Silly as it seems, but I get out and ride my bike. I watched my father suffer with depression for over 50 years, his problem was that he had nothing to fall back on, no hobbies as such.

He used to go up the garden to his shed and then wallow in his own self pity, and to make matters worse mum just let him do it.

However, in saying that his biggest problem was that he never admitted that he had a "problem", so he never sought help, until it was to late.

My sister committed suicide just over a year ago, it seems that she also decided to suffer in silence until she "thought" that she had no other option. :evil:

So with regret I have a family history of depression sufferers. Me included for a few weeks when my dad passed away. But I stopped taking the tablets that the doctor had prescribed and went and did more miles on my bike. Its the best medicine by far and it has no side affects either!

Its a horrible, horrible place to be at, and a place that I hopefully will never return to. But if you have posted on here, then its a major step forward to getting yourself out of it.

I am sure that there are plenty of people on here that can, and will help you, even if its just talking on line. At least you are not sitting alone as my father used to. :thumbsup:

As already mentioned, book something up, no matter how slight or minor it may seem, its something to look forward to.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Remove yourself from the cause(s) of your downturn.
Live each day or if needs be each hour in small simple compartments. Keep your plans simple and as stress-free as possible.
Get plenty of sleep.
Take gentle excercise.
Avoid alcohol, stay hydrated.
Make the most of your friends.
Take a few days off and have a change of scenery/routine for a few days.
Eat plenty of fresh products, take Cod-liver Oils (DHA/EPA).

Most of all, take time for yourself, talk to those who will listen, let your pals love you, talk here if anonymity helps.
Depression's a horrible, horrible debilitating thing, but you're not alone and you will pull through.
Take it easy. FF->.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Most of what Fab Foodie says works for me.

Cut down on the carbs & sugary stuff, cause that certainly didn't help me.

Talk to friends, or anyone you can, I'm sure they'll all support & help you if they know you need it :wacko:

Nice to see these replies folks:becool:. I have to take anti-depressants (high dosage) and find it quite easy to talk about it, not only on line but face to face for those who need to know.

I think, as already said, you have to come to terms with it and to even admit to yourself that there is a problem is a huge challenge for most folk. I was so blind to the fact that I had a problem until one day when I had blown up again!!!! I gave myself a choice, loose everything I had, loved, cherished and up until that very point in time, lived for, or do something about it.

The "something about it" in my case was professional help and meds and since that time I have never looked back.

I am much happier and OK, my life will never be the same, but I lose myself in everything that gives me a high, be it family, our pets, music or the good old cycling:becool:. There is a lot to be said about the "healthy body/healthy mind" in my opinion;)

I've set my sights on time trialling in 2010:becool:, will I get there? Who knows, as I have arrived at stage in my life when what I can't do today, I do tomorrow;)

I have referred to the "problem" in this reply, it is only this if you let it be;)

Alan.

tyred

Legendary Member
I found Arctic Root (Rhodiola Rosea) really helfpul. Should be avaialbale from any herbal rememedy shop.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
A Good diet of good quality natural food - when I'm recovering my food bill goes up £30 a week getting fresh and as chemical free as possible nutritionist advised stuff (effective tho), plenty of physical activity that gets you out of breath and your heart pumping and having someone trained to talk to who you can build up a completely trusting rapport with. if you can cry in front of them you're well on the way.

it sounds like this is a repetitive thing from your post, have you got a diagosis of a cyclical/repetitive depressive illness or is reactive to other stressors in life. Whichever way, a trip to the GP might be an idea to get onto a treatment regiment that can smooth out the peaks and troughs and/or is there ready to kick in with a short sharp boost when you recognise the signs that you're sinking too far.

physical activity floods your system with adrenaline and endorphins which counter the noradrenaline and downers that a depressed mind stimulates production of and which make you feel worse. Depression is catch 22 downward spiral in body chemistry terms.

get out on the bike even if you don't feel like it and your legs are jelly.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
IIRC there are foods which can increase your serotonin levels. Brazil nuts being one of them. But with my fondness for Brazil nuts, I can easily consume too many in one day, with regard to the calories, instead of the half dozen that would be recommended.

Shouldbeinbed, you have suggested improved diet, can you suggest other serotonin enhancing foods. Or is it that they act as Serontonin re-uptake inhibitors? When you are depressed, it is easy to get confused and then discouraged from looking into these options.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
St Johns Wort if you are not on prescription meds for it also 5HTP from Holland and Barrett. Good food and lots of exercise. If it is this time of year when you get the feeling could be SADS you can get lights that help.

postman

Legendary Member
I think we all go through it sometime or other.I am struggling myself at the mo.

I retired 3 years ago and i am missing the man to man buddy type thing.

Thats why i enjoy my cycling so much.And i always enjoy fridays its mums and toddlers.I meet people.

All the best to you.

trio25

Über Member
Cycling for me is a big one. The best thing is commuting as I have to get out, if it was just going for a ride I wouldn't. But as I have no choice I get out, 30minutes later and I am feeling a bit better.

Top Bottom