Ping: fellow depressives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been coping for the past few years. One of the best things to happen was when whilst on new deal I had to do a voluntary placement somewhere. I started at a youth centre in Perth the first month was like I couldn't be bothered because I was only asked to do small jobs like photocopying, making up packs that the youth workers took with them at night on the weekends. But the next 2 months something kinda clicked and I realized that I liked helping people even if it was something small.

After the two months were up I stayed on to help for £50 per week I stayed there for a whole year during that time I helped with and ran training sessions for the young people and also done a talk about my depression which was the hardest thing to do but in doing so one of the young people mentioned his problems. So it had a positive effect even to this day the management still talk about me to the new generation of volunteers (kinda got nick-named the legend).

Now even though I still have bad times I remember that I can work through it even if the course I am on gets me down at times I just have to remember I am doing it so I can do the same as I was doing as a volunteer but at a paid level.

OP
OP
T
Folks thanks for the replies. Sorry I went quiet there but our internet at home is out of commission.

Thanks so much for all the advice and the good wishes and caring. Some is this is physical, I am certain - an underactive thyroid. Some is perhaps seasonal. Some is innate - when I first realised that I have depression (or that I am a depressive) I also realised that I have had episodes from way back - even as a child.

There are also triggers - there's uncertainty at work, a lack of management and direction following a merger. SWMBO and I are having a bad time. There a load of work to be done on the house, although I moved that forward this weekend, Hurrah!

Our diet is good - we grow a lot of our own veg, cook from fresh, eat loads of fruit, don't eat junk or takeaways or snacks – I can't remember the last time I had a packet of crisps. And the cycle to work gives me exercise and daylight. I'm convinced these last two factors stop me from falling further, faster, when an episode starts.

I’ve taken medication in the past, and have been glad to do so. I’ve also gone back to work before I needed to as I’m sure it helps me. I am taking things very carefully at the moment, trying to be cognizant of the effects on my relationship, our little boy, my colleagues.

My boss has just emailed me with a caring email about my wellbeing and has opened the door to having some time off, which I am inclined to take.

I need to get back in contact with close friends who know me and understand how my head works – I am a member of a self-help fellowship and that is a huge help but I have neglected it recently. I’ve just dived back in and got myself a commitment there to make sure I go.

Thanks to all who have PM’ed – I’ll respond individually.

Still want to eat carbs and sugary stuff though. ;)

yoyo

I am also hypothyroid with low adrenal reserve. This time of year is not good for depression and I sympathize with you. Stressful situations send me backwards in spite of medication. If you have the offer of time off work, you should perhaps not look a gift horse in the mouth and get back to friends.

If you are craving carbs and sugar, do you think your thyroid medication is sufficiently high enough? It is true that once the thyroid / adrenals are fully support that depressive symptoms and food cravings disappear.

OP
OP
T
yoyo said:
I am also hypothyroid with low adrenal reserve. This time of year is not good for depression and I sympathize with you. Stressful situations send me backwards in spite of medication. If you have the offer of time off work, you should perhaps not look a gift horse in the mouth and get back to friends.

If you are craving carbs and sugar, do you think your thyroid medication is sufficiently high enough? It is true that once the thyroid / adrenals are fully support that depressive symptoms and food cravings disappear.

Yoyo thanks for this - it makes more sense that hypothyroidism is the culprit, linked to the time of year. I'm not on thyroid medication, as I'm a borderline case, and the doc said that once on the meds, you never come off, so he was reluctant. At the time I was furious as I just wanted to feel better, but now I'm glad.

I've arranged a conversation with my boss, so we'll see where that goes.

Cheers

TI

yoyo

' I'm not on thyroid medication, as I'm a borderline case, and the doc said that once on the meds, you never come off, so he was reluctant.'

TwentyInch, All GPs say this. They don't want to spend the money on patients. You actually need to be medicated and then your health will improve. I have had to go down the private route for this. Do PM me if you wish.

ASC1951

Guru
I half slumbered through an item on the radio this morning which said that for moderate to severe depression, CBT plus some medication was far more effective than medication alone in reducing the recurrence of depression.

I don't mind outing myself here. My story might interest you. I have suffered from severe bouts of depression over 30 years. Contributing factors for me have been, woeful under-achievement, lack of confidence, low self-esteem, frustration in a long career and marital discontent (because of or influencing the foregoing, I'm not sure). I can hear echoes of my condition in yours TI.

I find myself in total agreement with Fab Foodie (not for the first time)! His advice is sound. shouldbeinbed is spot on too. Exercise and diet have been successful at holding my own black dog at bay. I tried medication but ended up weaning myself off as I felt very uncomfortable artificially altering my brain chemistry. But I must stress, that was my personal choice. Your GP's advice should of course be heeded.

Several years ago I tried cognitive therapy but I abandoned it when the therapist left me with all my troubles unpacked on the table between us but no firm guidance for dealing with them. It was a poor experience with a weak therapist but I was put off repeating it. Also I have a history of "going-it-alone" having for example quit a heavy alcohol dependence cold turkey 15 years ago.

In 2006 I really bit the bullet and changed my life completely. I took a very early retirement, ended a 30 year marriage, gave away almost everything, said ‘see you soon’ to my adult sons, emigrated to Canada and remarried. When the process was complete I found it cripplingly painful and suffered a wave of deep depression from which I am now emerging, with the forbearance of a new wife. Of course, I know I changed too much all at once and am still coming to terms with the enormity of it all. It is certainly not to be recommended.

One positive thing I don't believe anyone has mentioned is creativity. That can be greatly therapeutic for some people if they have that inclination. I find writing is a great release on the days when I can't get out on the bike. I also spend days immersed in photography. Music too is a powerful way to calm or stimulate the mind if you listen really closely and with no distractions. One important thing I shipped over here is my large CD collection. Music has been a tonic and I'm often found loitering in the Chain thread!

We have a Canadian winter approaching that will as usual bring regular daily lows of minus 15-20C but I am actually quite looking forward to it! My new life and routines, diet and exercise have given me a positive outlook. So, no magic answers from me just my tale.

Bill Gates

I take great comfort from looking after my dogs. My businesses went under and two days later I suffered a heart attack. My wife and I were living in a house owned by my mother in law and she sent us notice to quit because we had no income to pay the rent, (my wife worked with me in the business).

Terrible time but my two dogs got me out of the house and I started to ride a bike again to get fit. Got ourselves sorted now although I can no longer work. Unfortunately I lost the dogs within a month of each other a year ago. Very upsetting and I missed them terribly so bought a new puppy and then another and they produced a puppy in September so now have three Jack Russells.

They are hard work but an absolute joy. If you like dogs then I would recommend getting one.

lukesdad

Bill I know we ve had or differences elsewhere on the forum but, you ve got to keep looking forward looking back will only cause heartache. Massive respect to what you ve acheived in the past.Chin up and go get em. Glad to hear you re back on the bike.

We ve lost 2 of our dogs in the last 2 years and cant describe the loss felt. we ve got a new addition a choc. lab. what a bundle of joy.Regards.

OP
OP
T
Virgo that's quite a story. Some people call it "Doing a geographical".

I've levelled off and even improved a little over the last couple of days. Sharing here helped. I've started taking kelp and a pantothenic acid supplement, which may be helping. I've also got back into challenging the negative thinking. It might not be so bad this time.

Twenty Inch said:
Virgo that's quite a story. Some people call it "Doing a geographical".

I've levelled off and even improved a little over the last couple of days. Sharing here helped. I've started taking kelp and a pantothenic acid supplement, which may be helping. I've also got back into challenging the negative thinking. It might not be so bad this time.
That is the very centre of the issue and success at it marks the turnaround point. I haven't managed it properly before so my recoveries have always been fragile.

Good luck with the fish dish.

Top Bottom