Ping: fellow depressives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trio25

Über Member
Running can be great at this time of year as it takes less time to get a good workout, so easier to pop out at lunch!

Hi cheadle nice to hear from you, hope you'll join us on the track soon.

OP
OP
T
I've gone running in -15 in Russia. That's fun!

Back in work and confirmed the part-time plan, starting January. We're all looking forward to it now. It feels better.

The supplements are helping, no doubt about it. I've slipped back onto the nicotine gum though - don't smoke anymore but I love that gum!

I'll be ok, I think, and I hope you all will be too.

TI

Bandini

Twenty Inch said:
What do you do when it starts coming down again? I need your help. PM me if you don't want to out yourself here.

Thoughts gratefully received.

TI

Remember: 'This too shall pass'

And take delight in the simple things. Being able to get a clean glass of water at any time of the day or night. Making an enjoyable meal. Sitting by a fire with a drink and a book. And of course a great bike ride!

Whatever floats your boat - but just remember - 'This too shall pass'. :evil:

I don't really suffer now, but I had bouts when I was in my late teens, early twenties. I started living a healthier life style and kept busy.

This book is kind of humorous, but intriguing when you are down I reckon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prometheus-Rising-Robert-Anton-Wilson/dp/1561840564

"...it is a book about how the human mind works and what you can do to make the most of yours. Readers have been known to get angry, cry, laugh, and even change their entire lives. It has practical techniques to break free of your "reality tunnels".

It helped make my thought processes more positive - but not in a Noel Edmunds kind of a way! And don't be put off by the fact that he can come across as a bit of a freak, and some of what he says should not be taken literallly - he is a self proclaimed guerilla ontologist. At the very worst it will while away a few hours.

OP
OP
T
"This too shall pass" is a great help, Bandini, as well as keeping it in the day. I also pray daily for gratitude and acceptance, and am trying to work harder on the gratitude stuff.

Cheers

TI

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
for me outdoor exercise (cycling and reffing rugby) along with a sit it out it won't last forever mantra, and just doing stuff to occupy my mind, tongue out of the mouth concentration type stuff, keeps the SAD at under control. Since adopting these strategies it have never again tipped over into full blown depression which it has done twice in the past before I learned how to avoid the worst of it.

After searching the forum and finding this, and after some thought, I've decided to add to and 'bump' the thread.

Just been started on Citalopram (20mg). Not finding it easy. Don't want to say too much at present.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
After searching the forum and finding this, and after some thought, I've decided to add to and 'bump' the thread.

Just been started on Citalopram (20mg). Not finding it easy. Don't want to say too much at present.

I always think it is the loneliest thing to go through but if you deal with it although hard you will come out the other side. Hope things brighten for you soon.

Soltydog

Legendary Member

When I suffered I was prescribed the same & felt the same, didn't want to talk about it much, but then the more I did talk about it, the better I felt. Hope you are on the way back up soon :thumbsup:

Pete,

I was on Citalopram for 2.5 years. Apart from several side effects in the first week or so it changed my eyesight, increased my migraine frequency, reduced my emotional range and messed up my concentration.

Apart from that it did some good :-) It remedied the exhaustion.

I started cycling (mountain biking) as my own therapy, and I put most of my recovery down to that.

I've refused medication every since, and educated myself on the signs of depression, and what helps me to get out of the ruts. I can't say I'm clear of it, I've never rectified the underlying cause - but I can say that 90% of the time I'm in the driving seat.

It's a damned long road but you're not alone, there's plenty of us out here. Don't let the world close in around you.

Best wishes.

sarahpink

try and focus on the hear and now> the small things make the difference. medication can be very useful. I have found cycling one of the best therapies for me, that and my siamese cat and having things in my life to look forward too.

Thanks for the comments. This is something that's been building up for years. There's no single reason, it's a lot of things. I suppose I may be on a hiding to nothing, but if I don't try it....

AlanW

Guru
Depression is a terrible, terrible thing.

I watched my poor dad suffer with it for 50 years till his death, and I could never understand what he was going through.....until now.

Sadly my sister took her own life year and she had also suffered in silence for many years, till it came to the point when she felt she had no other to option but to end it all. Its fair to say that it came as a real shock, as no one knew what she was going through. Again, at the time I could not understand why she did it, or even how she could do it.....until now.

When my dad died I went a bit wobbly and was prescribed some drug or other, but I was only on it for a few weeks, then stopped taking them.

For years I have suffered terribly from comfort eating, always have done and always will do I guess?

As it stands at the moment, I feel like I am sinking fast, problems with the job, kids playing up and consistently arguing and fighting. To the point that last week I walked out for a few hours and said at the time that I was moving out.

That's when it all clicked together about my dad and my sister, you cry out for help but no one listens, so you feel like you have no choice but to go to the extreme......there is no other choice, or at least in your head there is no choice.

My choice, or so I thought was to walk away and move out for good. Its fair to add that I love my wife, she is a real star and I would be utterly lost without her. I love both my kids too, and on the whole they are good children and always get glowing school reports, what more could a man want?

After a few tear phone calls from my wife and kids I did return home that night, but things have been awkward (for want of a better word) for a couple of weeks.

I am riding LeJOG in just two weeks time and the plan is to do it in 8 days. While I have been training hard over the last 6 months, the last two weeks have gone to shoot, being quite blunt! My mileage has dropped and I have been stuffing my face like a pratt.

So guess what's happened?

Yep, I have put on half a stone, no surprises there really is there. So know I am really pissed off about that as well.

The place called "Depression" is an evil place to be, and having only poked my nose in there once before I really, really don't want to move in full time.

But when your cry's for help go unnoticed, what do you do. :sad:

Top Bottom