Ping: fellow depressives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Fletch, I have now read your new thread on this dilemma. As you say, you would be better presenting your reasons for wanting part-time work in a positive way.

Are you going to handwrite your form? I have found that it is useful to take some photocopies, and use the copies to work out how much detail you can fit in each "Box" regarding the more complex things like "Why are you applying for this job?" This means that you do not get half way through what you planned to write, only to find there is not room for the rest of what you want to say. Then you have to redraft what you planned to put, and it does not flow so well.

I can imagine you have filled in lots of application forms. As this is a Garden Centre, the forms may be very different to those which you are used to completing.

That's a good one Speicher and something I learnt a while ago with app forms though I've not had to complete one for years - a CV usually. I measured by using number of lines and width of pad I was practicing on. Though am having second thoughts the more I think about this particular job but the form for the Garden Centre is poor as I would / will have to use supplementary paper for one thing that I think is obvious - why do you want this job - it doesn't ask for it.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Most low paid jobs are less about the form and more about the interview. FWIW, I went from a career-based job to stacking shelves and nobody asked about the change in direction, they just wanted someone who would turn up on time, do the job and not take proverbial.

Most low paid jobs are less about the form and more about the interview. FWIW, I went from a career-based job to stacking shelves and nobody asked about the change in direction, they just wanted someone who would turn up on time, do the job and not take proverbial.

Really Jo. No questions asked?

What made you make the change if you don't mind me asking?

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Desperation, tbh! I was living in Oxford at the time with my then-OH and working in London, commuting 3 days a week and working from home for 2. It was a fixed term contract but when it ended, I couldn't find an Oxford-based job in the same sector and all the London ones wanted me in 5 days a week. After a month's unemployment, I took a shelf-stacking job but seriously, they never once asked WHY someone with my qualifications was applying for the job: as I said, they wanted reliable and conscientious staff.

Top Bottom