1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pinnacle Arkose - brakes opinions please

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Crackle, 28 Jan 2018.

Tags:
  1. OP
    OP
    Crackle

Crackle Pah

Not me Skolly, she's perfectly capable of spoiling herself, though she took a bit of persuasion to spend that much on a bike when she already had one. N+1 has finally landed though.

2. si_c

si_c Über Member

Nice bike there @Crackle!

Just a side note though, I have the TRP Spyre on the front of my Felt, it brakes well enough, I did have to clean all the pads and rotors though and re-bed them in to get them working well, as stock they were a bit weak. I can well imagine that @I like Skol's experience is typical as regards the pads. That being said, with the rotors properly adjusted, I get pleeeeeenty of stopping power (more than enough to lift the back end quite a way off the ground - that with my fat arse on it). Although that being said, I am thinking about moving to hydraulics at some point as I'd like to put 105 on the bike this year.

3. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this..........

I don't want to derail Crackle's thread but I would think long and hard about going 105 hydraulic if my opinion counts for anything? I have the '105' hydraulic shifters on my GT Grade and IMO the shifting isn't great. It just seems a bit woolly and vague when compared to my old 9spd Tiagra on the previous bike. Everything has been optimised and have even had a replacement shifter under warranty after the original developed a fault, but the shifting is still the same. I suspect that shifting precision has been sacrificed to fit all the braking gubbins into the mix, maybe mech 105 brakes and the Spyres might be a better option?

4. OP
    OP
    Crackle

Crackle Pah

Derail away, it's all brakes.

5. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this..........

No, it's gears. :tongue:

Mort likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Crackle

Crackle Pah

Close enough.

7. si_c

si_c Über Member

That's interesting thanks. Certainly keeping the mechanical brakes would be fine from the braking point of view if it compromises the shifting, part of the reason I want the hydraulic is the automatic pad wear compensation, as I'm adjusting the brakes weekly at the moment with the crap weather and the consequent pad wear. Not really a problem to be honest, I'm just lazy.

Out of curiosity which pads did you get from the above? I'm currently using the stock semi-metallic, but considering a move to sintered. Resin pads would wear too quickly given the mileage - and types of miles - I'm doing currently.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2018
  8. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah Staff Member

Of the many thousands of miles I do a year on disc brakes bikes, I have always found Semi-metallic pads to be the longest lasting, quietest and most reliable in all weather's.

si_c likes this.
  9. si_c

si_c Über Member

Good to know. Thanks.