Pinnacle Arkose - brakes opinions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Nice bike there @Crackle!

Just a side note though, I have the TRP Spyre on the front of my Felt, it brakes well enough, I did have to clean all the pads and rotors though and re-bed them in to get them working well, as stock they were a bit weak. I can well imagine that @I like Skol's experience is typical as regards the pads. That being said, with the rotors properly adjusted, I get pleeeeeenty of stopping power (more than enough to lift the back end quite a way off the ground - that with my fat arse on it). Although that being said, I am thinking about moving to hydraulics at some point as I'd like to put 105 on the bike this year.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Although that being said, I am thinking about moving to hydraulics at some point as I'd like to put 105 on the bike this year.
I don't want to derail Crackle's thread but I would think long and hard about going 105 hydraulic if my opinion counts for anything? I have the '105' hydraulic shifters on my GT Grade and IMO the shifting isn't great. It just seems a bit woolly and vague when compared to my old 9spd Tiagra on the previous bike. Everything has been optimised and have even had a replacement shifter under warranty after the original developed a fault, but the shifting is still the same. I suspect that shifting precision has been sacrificed to fit all the braking gubbins into the mix, maybe mech 105 brakes and the Spyres might be a better option?

si_c

Guru
I don't want to derail Crackle's thread but I would think long and hard about going 105 hydraulic if my opinion counts for anything? I have the '105' hydraulic shifters on my GT Grade and IMO the shifting isn't great. It just seems a bit woolly and vague when compared to my old 9spd Tiagra on the previous bike. Everything has been optimised and have even had a replacement shifter under warranty after the original developed a fault, but the shifting is still the same. I suspect that shifting precision has been sacrificed to fit all the braking gubbins into the mix, maybe mech 105 brakes and the Spyres might be a better option?

That's interesting thanks. Certainly keeping the mechanical brakes would be fine from the braking point of view if it compromises the shifting, part of the reason I want the hydraulic is the automatic pad wear compensation, as I'm adjusting the brakes weekly at the moment with the crap weather and the consequent pad wear. Not really a problem to be honest, I'm just lazy.

Out of curiosity which pads did you get from the above? I'm currently using the stock semi-metallic, but considering a move to sintered. Resin pads would wear too quickly given the mileage - and types of miles - I'm doing currently.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That's interesting thanks. Certainly keeping the mechanical brakes would be fine from the braking point of view if it compromises the shifting, part of the reason I want the hydraulic is the automatic pad wear compensation, as I'm adjusting the brakes weekly at the moment with the crap weather and the consequent pad wear. Not really a problem to be honest, I'm just lazy.

Out of curiosity which pads did you get from the above? I'm currently using the stock semi-metallic, but considering a move to sintered. Resin pads would wear too quickly given the mileage - and types of miles - I'm doing currently.
Of the many thousands of miles I do a year on disc brakes bikes, I have always found Semi-metallic pads to be the longest lasting, quietest and most reliable in all weather's.

Top Bottom