Pity it's going to be illegal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Would it get me up Ditchling......?:hyper:

Think of the fun you could have endearing yourself to others, chatting away next to them as they labour up, maybe scooting ahead, bombing back down and then returning to their side to offer more encouragement. It could herald an entirely new realm of popularity for you.

At the weekend I heard some dodgy place local to me selling electric bike kits with 1500w motors, IIRC they were branded off road so they get away with it. Their site says 350w (so maybe 1500w was a bit of an exaggeration) but they boast of an illegal 20mph+ on their Hill Climbing bike :rolleyes:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Think of the fun you could have endearing yourself to others, chatting away next to them as they labour up, maybe scooting ahead, bombing back down and then returning to their side to offer more encouragement. It could herald an entirely new realm of popularity for you.
Des O does that without electrical assistance.....:cry:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Rather a weak argument I feel, perhaps a review is required of the laws relating to the use of 150mph motorcycles ?

I agree with your statement about possibly reviewing the laws relating to the use of 150mph motorcycles.
In a country which has a 70 MPH speed limit, the fact that I can legally buy such a vehicle and am deemed responsible enough to ride it even though it vastly exceeds our speed limits astounds me.
Although the fact I am not able to purchase an electric push bike because it exceeds the speed limit for the type of vehicle is a little bizarre to me. Although it never actually reaches our national speed limit
I could appreciate it a little more if the sale of 150+MPH motorcycles were banned under the same principles, but they are not.

I just think its strange I am deemed responsible enough for one and not the other. The assumption is not made with the motorcycle that I will ride it at maximum speed and brake the law, why is the same assumption not given with regards to the Turbo?

As an responsible road user I would support training for the turbo bike and even a test, however I do object to it being simply banned as I do not think it actually achieves anything.
Locating a dealer outside the UK and having one of these bikes shipped to you is generally not an issue, I most certainly have not experienced any during my own research. A such people who want one can and will get it.
The result of this is that people who obtain these bikes will use them largely without any noticeable training which is far more dangerous imho.
The only thing I get comfort in is that the price may make it slightly out of the reach of most 15 year old's birthday or christmas wish lists.

Norm

I just think its strange I am deemed responsible enough for one and not the other. The assumption is not made with the motorcycle that I will ride it at maximum speed and brake the law, why is the same assumption not given with regards to the Turbo?
You still aren't reading the replies.

Rather than type it again, I'll quote myself.
You can purchase electric bikes which can travel at over 15mph - they are more powerful and better ranged than the Spesh model and they are about £2k cheaper. They also come with registration plates and requirements about passing tests and using helmets.
It's not about whether you are responsible and electric vehicles (two or four wheels) which travel at more than 15mph are certainly not banned.

F%^&^& that! over £4000 for something that can only do 28mph?! For £4000 you can get a bike capeable of over 100mph. It should be made illegal based on value for money, not pedantic safety measures. I reckon such a system isnt worth more than about 3 or 4 hundred, plus whatever bike its fitted to obviously. Half the people on this forum can achieve 40mph without any motorised assistance.

Top Bottom