Pity it's going to be illegal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zizou

Veteran
It is good IMO that it will be illegal

The electric motors cutting out at 15mph is a sensible policy, any faster than that and there should be a test and licensing involved as they are more like scooters than pedal bikes.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I doubt if it will be legal in Europe either as we all fall under the same electric bike regulations. It is not the only bike of this type around and the others have had to be registered as mopeds.

My bike falls under the regulations and it is great for going over country tracks when you want an easy ride.

P1050873.jpg

P1050865.jpg

P1050876.jpg

Steve

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Seems a bit of a silly limit to me. Most cyclist, even the most unfit, can top 15mph easily (ok some in short bursts only). Fit cyclist can do 25mph-30mph very easily. How did they come up with the 15mph number I wonder? Just saw the price for that too, nearly £4600 ...ouch far far too expensive.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
15mph is the assist limit as in the motor cuts out at that speed, you can go as fast as you like beyond that but the power has to be supplied by the legs.

But the price is crazy and maybe highlights some silly bike pricing.

Peteaud

Veteran
Silly price but cool bike.

I dont own an e bike but i am all for them as it gets cars off the road.

If i had the cash i would have one, just nip over to Germany and stick one in the boot.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I think its silly to ban it though, ensuring people reach a certain standard before they can ride it is one thing, banning it is another.
I hold a full clean car, pcv and bike licence. I am also a member if IAM. The fact I can legally purchase a 150+ MPH motorcycle today and am deemed responsible enough to ride it within the constraints of UK laws and speed limits, but can not purchase a damn pushbike in the UK is nothing short of stupid IMHO.
They should sell it but put all riders through the CBT or something similar

zizou

Veteran
Like there is a test for 50cc mopeds you mean? I think they're still restricted to 30 mph aren't they?

I can't see the harm in this and from the article some countries clearly allow these things on the road. Why not?

To ride a 50cc moped you need at least a provisional license, have taken a CBT course, have tax, mot and insurance. If someone wants a 30 mph + capable e-bike then that should be the minimum requirement too because it is more of a moped than than a pedal bicycle.

I own a uk legal e-bike (restricted to 15 mph maximum powered speed). !5 mph is about as fast as I would want to go on it in traffic or any kind of urban environment, where you might encounter cars or cyclists pulling out of side roads without looking, wayward pedestrians etc. It is quite exciting enough trying to bring the thing to a halt from 15mph in an "emergency stop" situation. I shudder to think what it would be like trying to brake hard from, say, 25mph...... If you don't hit the thing you are trying to avoid, you would very possibly lock the wheels up and end up on the deck anyway.

However, I do recognise that people who live out in the countryside, and who ride on more open roads, could give a faster bike the full beans.

I can only say that, for me, 15mph is about fast enough. Unless I'm going downhill and am having a rush of blood to the head. In such circumstances the other day my speedo read 38mph!

snorri

Legendary Member
The fact I can legally purchase a 150+ MPH motorcycle today and am deemed responsible enough to ride it within the constraints of UK laws and speed limits, but can not purchase a damn pushbike in the UK is nothing short of stupid IMHO.
Rather a weak argument I feel, perhaps a review is required of the laws relating to the use of 150mph motorcycles ?

Norm

Rather a weak argument I feel, perhaps a review is required of the laws relating to the use of 150mph motorcycles ?
Indeed. Anyone can purchase a compound bow which would be lethal at several hundred metres, but that's no reason to relax the laws on shotguns and handguns.

You can purchase electric bikes which can travel at over 15mph - they are more powerful and better ranged than the Spesh model and they are about £2k cheaper. They also come with registration plates and requirements about passing tests and using helmets.

Also ironic is that Vendetta referred to it as a "pushbike".

Top Bottom