plain clothes commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Today was my first deliberate lycra free commute, a 20 mile round trip from my home in South West Leeds to Bradford Royal Infirmary and back. I have been doing the journey for years now, but always in cycling specific gear. I don't change into lycra to pop to the shops, happily doing it in my jeans and tshirt... but for some reason I have always commuted in cycling garb to get to and from work as quickly as possible so I can get on with life at home in the morning and evening with minimal time wasted on the commute.

I have had a few people approach me to ask me about my experiences cycling to work, it was obvious they were considering trying it themselves, but few other than sporting types have ever been converted from their cars, and only after the heavy investment in cycling kit and accessories. It got me wondering, is it maybe that extra barrier of lycra, pillow hats and high vis jackets that puts the cycle-curious off in the end? Should those of us that use bikes as transport consider wearing less lycra to make cycling seem more accessible to the masses? Yes, it won't replace dedicated investment in essential infrastructure and better policing, but maybe us commuting cycling fanatics could help tip the scales in our favour to reach that critical mass needed to get the investment by being seen cycling in normal clothes.

As for today, I was wearing a waxed canvas jacket over a summer merino baselayer, but it looks like a plain black tshirt, and some elasticated craghoppers mens walking trousers and some old converse all stars high I use for the dog walk. The jacket was a bit much for the warmth today, but I think it would be ideal in autumn. I need a lighter jacket, or maybe a long sleeved flannel shirt, sleeves rolled up, or something like a golf jacket for the morning chill. I had to consciously slow down somewhat, and coast down hills to keep from sweating buckets, but it made for a nice leisurely ride. I could still put the hammer down somewhat where necessary, but the pace was definitely more sedate, which wasn't a bad thing on such a lovely day.

So how about a discussion on what plain clothes you prefer to cycle in, no need for lycra or technical fabrics here :smile:

Also, has anyone found a discreet and not nerdy looking solution for protecting the trouser cuff so it doesn't get caught in a chain, sadly my stable doesn't have a roaster with a sensible chain guard.

Slick

Guru
I've never tried it but can't help but think it might be a bit different on a wet morning?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Anyone found a discreet solution for tucking the trouser leg away so it doesn't get caught in a chain guard,

Your sock is design specifically for this purpose.

I trundle across London in Chinos I wear in the office. But that is only a couple of miles each way, no hills and not enough to work up a sweat.

I get the not changing bit, I'm
.not sure I get the changing into something that isn't lycra bit, as that is the comfiest stuff to cycle in.

D

Deleted member 1258

I was a cycling commuter for over thirty years, I only stopped when I retired, I did nearly all that commuting in my work clothes towards the end I used to use a cycle jacket on cold days but that was all. I also used to straighten and rebend toeclips so they would fit my steel toe capped boots.

For my plain-clothed cycle commute I mostly wear polycottonhiking trousers, cotton underpants, cotton T shirt with office shirt, wool socks with leather shoes. In winter I wear a Paramo jacket which is windproof, breathable, handles heavy downpours well and passes for some kind of normal. For longer commutes I would probably switch to a merino or polycoton T shirt. Generally, sweat is not an issue at my riding pace, I found that time saved riding was offset by time spent cooling down, showering and re-dressing at work

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Also, has anyone found a discreet and not nerdy looking solution for protecting the trouser cuff so it doesn't get caught in a chain

My M&S cycling chinos have a couple of pop studs hidden on the inside of the hem at the ankle. I pop the studs together when riding then snap apart at the office, dead easy.
Or, when I'm wearing jeans, I use a Velcro strap. These are either spares from pump attachments and the like or a velcro cable tidy from the server room.

Then there are these:

bicycleclips.jpg pants_binderclip.jpg

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
I found that time saved riding was offset by time spent cooling down, showering and re-dressing at work
This is a very good point, I will make an effort to cycle as slowly as possible tomorrow to see how this pans out over 10 miles. I guess the pay off is greater on much shorter rides.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I found that time saved riding was offset by time spent cooling down, showering and re-dressing at work

That can often happen but it's good to remember that potential time-saving isn't the only benefit.

I'm fortunate in that my commute in to work is a descent of 300ft over 7 miles, most of that in the first 2 or 3, so there's no need for me to break into a sweat to get in on time. I still beat the car and even if I used the car and got lucky with traffic, there's zero chance of a space at my office so I have to factor in a 5-10 minute walk from the nearest available spot.
The bike wins for me every time.

Going home though, it's a much closer call!

spen666

Legendary Member
.....Should those of us that use bikes as transport consider wearing less lycra to make cycling seem more accessible to the masses? .......

Surely it depends on:

1. Your purpose in cycling?
2. What you feel most comfortable/ happy wearing for the commute?

For me, my purpose in cycling is to get to work cheaply and to get/ keep fit/exercise. I am not cycling to convert others to cycling, so the answer for me would be no. I would still need to change after my commute as I would be sweaty/ smelly so no benefit to me in not wearing lycra.

Others will no doubt have different views

Slick

Guru
Hence waxed-canvas!
Which of course is fair enough but sounds a bit like cycling in a Barbour jacket to me.

My reasons for my commute is total enjoyment and fitness. It might not always look like it but I like to go for it as much as I can over the 15 mile commute and i do turn up at work over an hour before starting time looking for a shower and a hot mug of tea. Lately, it's just been shorts and lycra t shirt as the weather has been magic but during the winter it's bib tights and jacket which dry out really quickly even on the wettest morning.

Top Bottom