plain clothes commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Lycra and cycling shorts are worn for a reason. They are comfortable and wick moisture from your body. Normal clothes are typically cotton and don't. I can't think of anything worse cycling in normal non Lycra clothing, then doing a whole day's work and your clothes smelling of sweat. Yuk. No thanks, not for me. This would be enough to put anyone off who was thinking of taking up cycling. I have no interest in converting other people to cycling. For me Lycra or similar fabrics used in cycle clothing will be my choice every time.

Last edited:

Lonestar

Veteran
I have worn cycle specific clothes for years and change when I get to work but I never wear lycra.

I may consider it if I get called up for the Tour De France.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I occasionally see a chap who cycles in wearing a suit.
To be fair, the route is mainly downhill into the city, so he can probably get away with coasting / freewheeling large sections of it, but there is enough 'up' to make me wonder about the hot days.

I've never seen him making the return (mostly uphill) journey though - maybe he gets a lift or uses the train?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I have a similar commute to the OPs but in reverse. North Bradford to South Leeds so, maybe we should swap workplaces or homes.

I'd sweat profusely even if I was to go easy, so lycra and shower for me everytime.

For local errands I wear second tier casual clothes i.e. jeans and T shirts that are one rung up the ladder from gardening/painting duty.

I've ruined too many nice jeans/chinos with either irremovable oil stains or a worn crotch.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I ride in casual wear, always have done.
Leggings, tees, rolled up trousers and so on.
I change into my uniform at work, don't tend to sweat much as I'm slow, the commute is only 5 miles, slightly downhill into work.
It rains a lot here, I found that the only item of gear that keeps me dry on top is a proper cycling jacket (the rest of me can get wet, it will be dry by the time I finish work), that means I must look weird walking around town with that only item of specific cycling clothing on if I end up somewhere else after work :laugh:
Sometimes, if the weather is dry but the visibility is poor, I will wear a Sam Brown belt over my normal clothing, leave it in my pannier.
Being my cycling mostly utilitarian, the total lycra look is not suitable, I feel uncomfortable in padded shorts anyway, and most cycling tops make me itchy, I need to wear bamboo base layer under them, don't know why that is.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I use...
SPD sandals, shoes under desk, socks in bag
Berghaus hiking trousers, which are black, plain enough to be sufficiently respectable at work, don't wear out on the saddle, and have an elastic ankle draw cord that I snug down above the calf, plus-8 style, to keep them clear of the transmission.
Top is a regular office shirt, and whatever waterproofness or insulation is required for the weather (eg rainlegs, old cycling jacket)

The commute is short enough that sweatiness can be kept under control.

clf

I think all the kit does put off people who might fancy using a bike to pop to the shop or the 3 or 4 mile commute, it's just an extra barrier, the perception it's dangerous is only exasperated by hi viz this and reflective that, polystyrene hats, cameras and lights all over the place. It doesn't look attractive to the casual commuter, far too much cost and effort, I love seeing normal people riding normal bikes in normal clothes, and if they are on the larger side even better, the more people like this around the more normalised cycling will become, I think this is key to getting people on bikes, as important if not more so than super duper infrastructure.

Tom B

Guru
I shun the lycra and cycle wear for summer commuting.

Attachments

• 15299911446003835454539016581661.jpg
    15299911446003835454539016581661.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 55

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I saw a break even calc somewhere once. Where the time saved by going faster exceeds the time spent showering or changing. So casual or cycling specific would really depend on length of ride, terrain, how early you want to leave for work and how late you want to get back.

As for lycra, have a look at the labels in your clothing. You would be surprised how many items have lycra in them anyway.

spen666

Legendary Member
I saw a break even calc somewhere once. Where the time saved by going faster exceeds the time spent showering or changing. So casual or cycling specific would really depend on length of ride, terrain, how early you want to leave for work and how late you want to get back.

As for lycra, have a look at the labels in your clothing. You would be surprised how many items have lycra in them anyway.

Your opening paragraph works on the assumption that the only factor someone is concerned about is time.

For many people, myself included time is not the sole factor in deciding what to wear

Tom B

Guru
Your opening paragraph works on the assumption that the only factor someone is concerned about is time.

For many people, myself included time is not the sole factor in deciding what to wear

My commute isn't noticeably slower dressed casually at 22 mins and 6 miles I'd be going some for lycra to make a difference. The six sets of traffic lights is a bigger issue. My casual wear is much quicker to change out of / in to and I dont bother with a shower at work as I get more sweaty at work than I do commuting.

Horses for courses

Top Bottom