plain clothes commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
. It doesn't look attractive to the casual commuter, far too much cost and effort, I love seeing normal people riding normal bikes in normal clothes, and if they are on the larger side even better, the more people like this around the more normalised cycling will become, I think this is key to getting people on bikes, as important if not more so than super duper infrastructure.

I also deliberately ride in casual wear, and I do not wish to look like a typical weekend warrior roadie (although I suspect riding a 25-30 year old steel flat bar bike would make that image difficult to pull off anyway).

Best of luck trying to persuade more people to take up riding though. I've come to the conclusion that a significant portion of the UK population are essentially just fat lazy b'stards whose idea of success in life is to avoid as much physical activity as humanly possible. I mean, when you've got people who live half a mile away from the pub and yet use minicabs to get there and back, or wait longer for a bus to take them 3 stops down the road to get their Chinese take-away than it would take them to walk, things are not really looking too promising are they?
I also can't believe how many adult youngsters these days don't have bikes, and some don't ever seem to have ridden bikes. When I was small, every kid of both sexes, without exception, could ride a bike from a young age and possessed a bike of some description - even if it was some beaten-up old secondhand heap with umpteen previous careless owners.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Ski socks with Levi 501s tucked into them and a tee shirt with maybe a vest underneath , and a sweater and fleece on top. If it rains I have a pair of over-trousers and a Hi-Viz jacket. I need to wear the over-trousers really rarely. It doesn't seem to rain much in London if you do a five and a half mile trip twice a day.

snorri

Legendary Member
It got me wondering, is it maybe that extra barrier of lycra, pillow hats and high vis jackets that puts the cycle-curious off in the end? Should those of us that use bikes as transport consider wearing less lycra to make cycling seem more accessible to the masses?
I think the thought of wearing lycra etc. does deter some of the cycle-curious from becoming active cyclists.
The second question is more difficult as experienced cyclists will wear what they find most suitable for their particular style and would be unlikely to be persuaded to make any change.
Those of us wishing to encourage the cycle curious and detecting an aversion to lycra may have to explain the difference between cycling purely for transport and cycling for transport as part of an exercise regime.

mgs315

Those of us wishing to encourage the cycle curious and detecting an aversion to lycra may have to explain the difference between cycling purely for transport and cycling for transport as part of an exercise regime.

Nail on head for me. The guys at work are a bit confused as to why I end up spending 10-15 or so minutes changing into/out of my Lycra and smashing myself for an hour but hey it saves gym time. Thankfully a good number of them understand the benefits of cycling and are happy to trundle along on MTBs in shorts and tees which is a perfectly good way to get out and about methinks.

I usually end up explaining that you don’t need to wear Lycra and charge around but I do so out of choice. Number one choice for the cycle curious is to just get out there and pedal.

Confession: I do not and never have owned anything made of Lycra.

I wear work clothes but I don't ride far or fast, don't sweat much except in high summer, and don't work somewhere with a shower, in fact I've never had a shower at work. I'm not sure if they are common here. On the other hand I see a lot of other people cycling in normal clothes locally so I think the conditions and culture are different.

I also generally wear natural materials which may help.

One reason for using normal clothes is the same as the OP: to try and persuade people that cycling can be transport and done by normal people. On the other hand I'm fortunate that most of my route is on surfaced roads or good gravel trails and car free so I don't have to ride hard to get out of trouble.

I just cant bring myself to wear all the gear, even though I don't care really much for how I look, I'm well aware that seeing someone of my size all in lycra is not a pretty site.. Nowadays my commute is only 2 miles each way so if I'm late can put the power down all the way there with no problems.. But I'm talking even for leisure rides at the weekend I will just add some padded undershorts etc.. I get ignored by a lot of the guys in all the gear, guess it's cycle snobbery but I don't really mind - I overtake a lot of them... Except for the superfit guys, you know the ones that are training etc - though I have to say, most of the serious cyclists like that are not the ignorant ones.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
I left my best lycra in the washing machine overnight so it was still wet in the morning so I decided to have a plain clothes winter commute.

Cotton T-shirt, wool jumper, under a wind proof climbing jacket, wooly merino hat and a pair of Levis Commuter Cordura trousers and walking boots. I was plenty warm, had to hold back a little bit on the steep climbs. I didn't arrive too sweaty, I was impressed with how the cotton tshirt held out. I have previously heard people strictly advise against cotton due to it's propensity to feel cold when wet. I assume I got my layers just right this morning, I felt nice and toasty. The merino hat was a bit chilly though, on account of it not being wind proof at all.

I did 10 miles, looking forward to the return leg.

Last edited:

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Generally, I wear jogging bottoms and an Airtex t-shirt (I have about 10 of those cheapo Slazenger/Lonsdale type ones you can buy at Sports Direct).

In the summer I wear cycle shoes (spd clipless) and ride a Triban 3.
In the winter I just put a hi-viz coat over the shirt and ride a rat bike with normal pedals (and a pair of old trainers). If it is really cold I have a scarf and gloves.

I change when I get to work. I only have about 3 miles to go, however.

I recently bought 3 or 4 of these and they are great in the summer (I thought they were fantastic value)

My transport costs next to nothing as I do all the mechanics myself (main costs are tyres/tubes, chain and freewheel (every 2 years) and oil and grease and white spirit/reused, soap for cleaning [peanuts]). Since discovering Marathon tyres/tyre liners I cannot remember the last time I got a puncture either).

I think it is tragic that more people do not cycle. I reckon it has had a dramatic effect on my overall health too. It is only anecdotal but I reckon the reason I caught a cold over Christmas maybe because I was not as active. 2 weeks of no commuting. I have not been badly sick with cold or flu for several years.

Sorry, went off-topic there </rantover>

I remember the moment it dawned on me that it took me longer to get changed into my winter cycling gear at the end of the day than it took to ride home.

I do think that lycra along with the rest of the uniform (shoes, gloves, go-faster striped clothing) makes cycling seem like a sporting club which requires enormous lots of expensive equipment and clothing to participate in. In that regard I think its actually hurt cycling in the UK.

I admit to being one of the (sad) people who used to wear cycling gear almost as a badge because felt exactly like being the member of an exclusive club. I never was as fast and sporting as I looked. I didn't help that I worked in bike shops and got staff discount on all my gear!!

mustang1

Guru
I rode the hybrid recently for 40km wearing jeans and bike shorts underneath. After about 5k, it was getting a bit uncomfortable and the final 20km I was almost thinking about taking the jeans off.

I've ridden in jeans before and every time I keep thinking I better not do that again. I've put on some weight lately so that doesn't help, but even when I was slimmer, the jeans just didn't work too well for me.

Lycra for me all the way!

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
I rode the hybrid recently for 40km wearing jeans and bike shorts underneath. After about 5k, it was getting a bit uncomfortable and the final 20km I was almost thinking about taking the jeans off.

I've ridden in jeans before and every time I keep thinking I better not do that again. I've put on some weight lately so that doesn't help, but even when I was slimmer, the jeans just didn't work too well for me.

Lycra for me all the way!
Part of the problem is that modern mass manufactured fashion oriented clothes are not made with active travel in mind. They are cut, sewn and seamed in arkward places, not a problem if you are inactive all day, only venturing occasionally from room to room, and using cars to travel about. Anyone who has walked in jeans a long distance has felt the pain in their never-regions and inner thighs knows that jeans are not great choice for physical activity! You can however get jeans specifically cut and seamed for cycle commuting, I found these slightly more comfortable, but other materials are kinder still. You just have to pick your clothing carefully.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
fashion oriented clothes are not made with active travel in mind. They are cut, sewn and seamed in arkward places, not a problem if you are inactive all day, only venturing occasionally from room to room, and using cars to travel about. Anyone who has walked in jeans a long distance has felt the pain in their never-regions and inner thighs knows that jeans are not great choice for physical activity! .

I can't agree at all. Jeans were originally conceived as tough hardwearing clothing for undertaking physical work in, NOT as fashion items!. I ride in jeans all the time over distances of up to 25-30 miles and they don't cause me any discomfort. Nor do I wear padded "cycling" clothing of any kind. The problem I think is due to fashion victims insisting on wearing skinny fit tight clothing that they can't move around in and which causes the seams to exert pressure on various bits of their bodies. If, like me, you wear comfortable fitting straight leg cuts with room to move in, undertaking physical activity whilst wearing them, including riding bikes, is not a big deal. I also walk a fair bit, again often wearing jeans.

Top Bottom