Planet X roubaix winter tights - views?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
These:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXC...273354769&mc_cid=235a4e91a4&mc_eid=d47e3dfa04

Have been sent yet another personal (oo) offer and am tempted, especially as there is something else I have been thinking of getting from them for a while and I like to bundle things up to offset their high delivery charges - which aren't much less than those german folks like Rose.

Anyone worn them? What's the quality/fit like? How dependable/convincing is the zip? Must admit to being a tad concerned by that as if it should fail the entire item will be toast.

By the by, have long wondered about this tag of "roubaix" material which seems to be used across many different manufacturers - does it actually refer to any particular spec of material or is it just a loose term for fluff-lined lycra?

screenman

Legendary Member
If I did not have a pair from Impsort I would be all over those at that price, sod it if the zip goes they will still work and will not be a huge job to replace, to warm for all but a 3 or 4 months of the year though.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Yes
These:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXC...273354769&mc_cid=235a4e91a4&mc_eid=d47e3dfa04

Have been sent yet another personal (oo) offer and am tempted, especially as there is something else I have been thinking of getting from them for a while and I like to bundle things up to offset their high delivery charges - which aren't much less than those german folks like Rose.

Anyone worn them? What's the quality/fit like? How dependable/convincing is the zip? Must admit to being a tad concerned by that as if it should fail the entire item will be toast.

By the by, have long wondered about this tag of "roubaix" material which seems to be used across many different manufacturers - does it actually refer to any particular spec of material or is it just a loose term for fluff-lined lycra?
I have these - if these are without the padding
Fantastic in my experience
Best bib/short/trousers I have used
Would not wear above 10-12 deg

OP
OP
Blue Hills
If I did not have a pair from Impsort I would be all over those at that price, sod it if the zip goes they will still work and will not be a huge job to replace, to warm for all but a 3 or 4 months of the year though.
Do you have experience of them?
They have actually sent me a code for an extra tenner off that price.

screenman

Legendary Member
Do you have experience of them?
They have actually sent me a code for an extra tenner off that price.

Not of those exact one's but I have Roubaix bottoms made by another company, they are just so cheap and well worth the few quid. I have their 3 pairs of 365 bibbed shorts and many tops and jackets all good so I expect those to be the same.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Yes

I have these - if these are without the padding
Fantastic in my experience
Best bib/short/trousers I have used
Would not wear above 10-12 deg
Many thanks for this - yes am pretty sure they are without the padding.
An approach I like after using some lussos without padding I acquired - I have loads of quality padded lycra shorts so this appeals to my mean/practical nature.
The only downside of that great lusso experience on a few northern rides is that I was "inspired" to put some padded lycra shorts under some unpadded lycra tights on a recent overnight ride London to So/uthampton. The damn tights kept slipping down from the shorts - at one point I was aware of an odd "catching" feeling - I thought it was something to do with my seatpack but on my return home discovered that it was the zip head from the pocket on the tights digging into my saddle when they slipped - punctured the surface. Was there ever such a daft feature? - does anyone ever put anything in a mini pocket on the back of a pair of tights? - an old penny for a lav? a condom?
Apologies for rant - many thanks for the post - I may order two pairs.

edit - yes without the padding - it says this:
>>The high stretch Roubaix fabric and pad-less seat area allow you to wear these Clubman tights both on their own, or over the top of padded cycling shorts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Hills
Not of those exact one's but I have Roubaix bottoms made by another company, they are just so cheap and well worth the few quid. I have their 3 pairs of 365 bibbed shorts and many tops and jackets all good so I expect those to be the same.
>>I have their 3 pairs of 365 bibbed shorts
Do you mean their 3/4 bib shorts?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have had two pairs of PlanetX roubaix tights. Always liked them. Good value.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Many thanks for this - yes am pretty sure they are without the padding.
An approach I like after using some lussos without padding I acquired - I have loads of quality padded lycra shorts so this appeals to my mean/practical nature.
The only downside of that great lusso experience on a few northern rides is that I was "inspired" to put some padded lycra shorts under some unpadded lycra tights on a recent overnight ride London to So/uthampton. The damn tights kept slipping down from the shorts - at one point I was aware of an odd "catching" feeling - I thought it was something to do with my seatpack but on my return home discovered that it was the zip head from the pocket on the tights digging into my saddle when they slipped - punctured the surface. Was there ever such a daft feature? - does anyone ever put anything in a mini pocket on the back of a pair of tights? - an old penny for a lav? a condom?
Apologies for rant - many thanks for the post - I may order two pairs.
On a side note - why would anybody voluntarily travel to Southampton?:wacko::laugh:

screenman

Legendary Member
>>I have their 3 pairs of 365 bibbed shorts
Do you mean their 3/4 bib shorts?

No.
1603296657172.png

OP
OP
Blue Hills

On a side note - why would anybody voluntarily travel to Southampton?:wacko::laugh:
:smile: I did somewhat wonder that after being, as is my wont, especially cautious on timing and then, despite early morning/middle of the night delaying tactics in winchester and eastleigh, turning up in a rather wet southampton at before 6am as I recall. Tootled around before gaining admittance to a spoons at 8am where I got maximum value out of their free espresso refills (double shots) while I waited for a train back to south london leaving at about 2pm. I only had 1 and a half pints the entire time I was there - honest.
There was a reason for my ride to southampton to meet that train - won't bore you good folks by going into it.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Many thanks for replies so far - seems a big thumbs up for the Planet X padless bib longs.

With regards to some of their other bibs (with pads) what's the pad they use in some of their bins like?

I have recently taken a shine to the idea of 3/4 tghts/bibs - I have some from Polaris but need to get out of the saddle a bit to relieve pressure from a pad which is maybe a bit limited.

And just what is "roubaix"?

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Just checked and I have some, the ones without the Pad, yes good and warm, must admit not a massive fan of the zip, as can be next to the skin depending on layers. I actually prefer some of their other bib roubaix tights, I have a pair of the Flanders ones (a few versions with different logos) with pad / no zip and prefer those. See if I can find a link for them. Know what you mean about their P&P...

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Just checked and I have some, the ones without the Pad, yes good and warm, must admit not a massive fan of the zip, as can be next to the skin depending on layers. I actually prefer some of their other bib roubaix tights, I have a pair of the Flanders ones (a few versions with different logos) with pad / no zip and prefer those. See if I can find a link for them. Know what you mean about their P&P...
EDIT they don't have any of the other ones in and I'm sure I got them for £25 in a deal at some point, maybe why they're 'selling' these off first...

Top Bottom