PlanetX - calls in the administrators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scragend

As per Companies House(link is external), dated 6 June, a First Gazette Notice has been filed, stating: "The Registrar of Companies gives notice that, unless cause is shown to the contrary, the Company will be struck off the register and dissolved not less than 2 months from the date shown above.

Based on their most recent accounts, things must have gone downhill rapidly in the last 14 months if they are now facing administration, although there was a cautionary note regarding going concern in there.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Every reason to expect Planet X under Ashley would go in the same profitable direction.
The same direction being profitability at the expense of customer service and product quality.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I ordered a couple of Carnac Croix helmets this afternoon because the one I've got at the moment is excellent and you can't go far wrong for a tenner. FedEx tell me that they've picked up the consignment so I'm reasonably confident of receiving it..

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Maybe, but it would end up as just another Sports Direct/Evans, selling the same stuff from pretty much the same web site just with different branding

Its rather depressing how bare the evans website now is compared to their pre-Ashley buyout days. They dont stock half as many products as they used to. I noticed this a long while ago but I always kept checking in to see if anything changed and it never has. Even Halfords have a better selection. It seems that Evans are there just to service your bike and offer nothing but the most basic of cycling necessities

Fastpedaller

It's noteworthy that PX has gone from a vision of manufacturing frames in the UK (about 8 years ago?) to now be in a situation of administration looming - Covid certainly had a large impact on many businesses, and many will never recover fully :sad:

november4

bought another pair of photochromatic sunglasses for stock up, the recent ones I got are perfect and cheap compared to other brands

Maybe, but it would end up as just another Sports Direct/Evans, selling the same stuff from pretty much the same web site just with different branding.

On a more positive note, I snapped up a couple of pairs of bib shorts from PlanetX yesterday morning (just in case) and I've had notification that they've been dispatched. I don't need them at the moment, but the ones I already have are great, so at £14.99 a pair I've future-proofed myself a bit.

Apparent the planet X money worries are over

They sold a couple of pairs of bib shorts yesterday :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There is good money to be made in servicing the bikes of the mechanically inept / lazy / money rich-time poor. There isn't as much to be made in retail.
You rang?

They made some really good bikes in the past. I remember my Inbred - a really, really good machine, actually amazing for £400. It was a really good steel MTB complete at the same price as a Halfords cheapie.

I think their biggest challenge is the lack of personal finance deals around the corner and the fact that after a while, you realise all their "sales" are smoke and mirrors. They remind me of the car dealership I visited last year when I was hiring a van and noticed the sign saying they didn't accept cash payments for anything - it struck me then that rather than being a company that sold cars, they were a company that sold loans.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
They made some really good bikes in the past. I remember my Inbred - a really, really good machine, actually amazing for £400. It was a really good steel MTB complete at the same price as a Halfords cheapie.

I think their biggest challenge is the lack of personal finance deals around the corner and the fact that after a while, you realise all their "sales" are smoke and mirrors. They remind me of the car dealership I visited last year when I was hiring a van and noticed the sign saying they didn't accept cash payments for anything - it struck me then that rather than being a company that sold cars, they were a company that sold loans.

Their Ti frames are top notch. Originally designed by Ti guru Mike Reilly.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully

I've encountered this too recently, when we were buying a second hand car. Most dealers wouldn't even respond to queries, once I mentioned cash.

Alex321

Veteran
People don't buy cars now, either a loan or cash. Leasing is it. That's why most folk are driving round in fancy cars. Not for me.

I don't think "most folk" are driving around in fancy cars. Most of us are driving around in second-hand cars, which we have bought.

Leasing has certainly become a lot more popular, but I still don't think it is anywhere near most people doing it.

Top Bottom