Planning to do the JOGLE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robgul

Legendary Member
www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk has stacks of reports on the adventure - mine, No 176 in the journals even has a marked map you can get for a modest donation to Macmillan Cancer Support

Going back to your original post about bike suitability ... yes, people do the ride on all sorts of stuff - but I would suggest that either a hybrid or tourer would be a far more pleasant experience ... it's horses for courses with bikes ....

Rob

wyno70

As above, whatever bikes suit. I was doing it in August and met a fella on the top of Glencoe, going the other way on a monocycle!!

I went the JOGLE direction and had a day and a half of headwind, other than that, it was fine, so don't listen to what everyone else says and just do it your way.

It's your trip and if you compromise it, you may regret it in future!

wyno70

Forgot to mention, I'd opt for long summer nights and any time that avoids midges in Scotland, as such, late May would be my shout!

bianchi1

Guru
Kirstie said:
Psssst chexter, you're talking to a bloke who did it in 5 days...bianchi1 knows his stuff! An amazing ride!

You are too kind!!

( it was closer to six tho ) !

Seriously, I would have loved to spend more time and seen more but children commitments forced me into a bit of a rush. The last day in Cornwall was only about pain, which I regret.

de kuip

bianchi1 said:
You are too kind!!

( it was closer to six tho ) !

Seriously, I would have loved to spend more time and seen more but children commitments forced me into a bit of a rush. The last day in Cornwall was only about pain, which I regret.
blimy..respect to you..and all who have done it in there own time,id love to do it

OP
OP
C

CHEXTER

BLIMEY 5/6 six days that is amazing, how many miles were you doing a day.

I was hoping to do it the cheapest way possible so i will probs stick with the bike i have got.

Does anyone know of some good places to go and some good places to avoid?

bianchi1

Guru
Around 160-170 miles a day. I did it on my road bike so that made it a little easier. this year I did the comino de Santiago on a mountain bike with slicks and lock front suspention and had a great ride. Even found it a little easier on the hands and wrists so there is definately no need for you to change your bike.

I found youth hostels cheep and cheerfull to stay in. Also gives you something to aim for!

As for what to see, afraid I was head down for lots of it. Scotland was beautifull on the whole. Strangely more so in the mist and drizzle.

OP
OP
C

CHEXTER

ok cool i was thinking youth hostels or camping, but i dont like the idea of carrying tents and stuff on the bike!

ps- You have been a great help and everyone has only made me even more eager to get on my bike and start training!

OP
OP
C

CHEXTER

hey guys, just thought of another thing i duno much about. To ride the end to end do u need to have shoes that clip on to your pedals?

I know i sound really amature to be doing this bike ride but hopefully in a years time i wont be so low on knowledge!

shirokazan

Veteran
Kirstie said:
My first day in Cornwall was all about pain too
In fact, Cornwall is mostly about pain, whichever day you are on...

Well, Cornwall can't be that bad. I did my LEJOG in June this year but I was impressed enough with Cornwall to go back there last week for a five day tour. Weather not so great this time but worth it. Actually, now I think about it, the worst weather last week was when I spilled into Devon: the hills, as well as the weather, are far worse there than in Cornwall.

PS I take my hat off to Bianchi1 for doing his E2E in 5-6 days. I can only imagine how hard that must have been.

shirokazan

Veteran
Kirstie said:
Yes it is. It is very, very bad. Very bad indeed ;)

Are you really saying you found Cornwall worse than Devon when you did your LEJOG? ;) After my two experiences this year, Devon seems worse. Still, I guess it's all down to the precise route you take...

Top Bottom