Planning to go on a cross country trip with my bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I live in Savannah GA, and I'm planning to head out of Georgia to Florida first, then go South, West, North and East and cover all states. Hope this covers what you wanted to know.
South from Florida? Have you got your canoe conversion kit?

\British humour

mustang1

Guru
@ridelover9941 , those guys are just joking, they're a funny bunch around here (at least they think they are :smile:)

Anyway where are you planning to go?

MikeG

Guru
This thread is like trying to communicate via multiple passes through Google Translate. Here in Britain, I doubt if any of us can make sense of "I know what I have to bring, and I know how to ride far without getting the leg burn. Just wanted to share, and want everyone to wish me well and have fun on the journey". (So are you posting just to tell us how wonderful you are?). And in response, the OP clearly can't make any sense of the irony or humour in the responses. We are, as ever, divided by our common language.

OP
OP
R

ridelover9941

I have a quick question. What should I bring with me for the bike just in case I break down? Spare tubes and tires I know? But what about other bike parts, like rear derailleur and chain perhaps?

Globalti

Legendary Member
If your bike is well-maintained and you are on top of the maintenance (for example, could you tell me now, without checking, how worn the chain, tyres and brakes are?) you don't need to carry anything other than puncture repair kit, a couple of inner tubes, chain lube, a small multi-tool for minor repairs, plus any of those wear items, which you estimate are going to wear out during the trip. If they are commonly available you don't even need to carry them as you can just buy them and fit them as needed.

If all this is meaningless to you, you'd better be prepared for some breakdowns along the way and carry cash and a credit card to pay shop mechanics.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
We really are divided by a common language. I follow a Chattanooga FC Facebook page, as my son played for them a couple of years ago. Most of the time I have absolutely no idea what they’re talking about!

Good luck with your, trip my man. I’m more than a little jealous.

colly

Re member eR
@ridelover9941

Good luck and stay safe. :okay: Are you camping along the way or is it hotels/motels ? How long do you expect to take ? From what you say it could be an openended trip. 'All States' covers a LOT of distance.
What about posting on something like RWGPS a map of where you have been as you go along.
Lots of bods on here I'm sure would love to be doing stuff like this.

MikeG

Guru
If your bike is well-maintained and you are on top of the maintenance (for example, could you tell me now, without checking, how worn the chain, tyres and brakes are?) you don't need to carry anything other than puncture repair kit, a couple of inner tubes, chain lube, a small multi-tool for minor repairs, plus any of those wear items, which you estimate are going to wear out during the trip. If they are commonly available you don't even need to carry them as you can just buy them and fit them as needed.

If all this is meaningless to you, you'd better be prepared for some breakdowns along the way and carry cash and a credit card to pay shop mechanics.

America is quite big, and there are some huge empty places where you could be many days ride from the nearest bike shop. I'd personally carry more spares than you're suggesting.

Globalti

Legendary Member
There's traffic. You can shoulder the bike and stick out a thumb, in remote places drivers will give lifts if they can see the reason for hitching.

OP
OP
R

ridelover9941

This thread is like trying to communicate via multiple passes through Google Translate. Here in Britain, I doubt if any of us can make sense of "I know what I have to bring, and I know how to ride far without getting the leg burn. Just wanted to share, and want everyone to wish me well and have fun on the journey". (So are you posting just to tell us how wonderful you are?). And in response, the OP clearly can't make any sense of the irony or humour in the responses. We are, as ever, divided by our common language.
Just to clarify, I am not posting to say how wonderful I am. I am just wanting to share to everyone that I'm going on a United States trip with my bike. That's all.

snorri

Legendary Member
I have a quick question. What should I bring with me for the bike just in case I break down? Spare tubes and tires I know? But what about other bike parts, like rear derailleur and chain perhaps?
Take a credit card, you should be able to buy most things, including tyres, as you need them, why burden yourself with a load of spares?
Enjoy:smile:.

Top Bottom