Planning to go on a cross country trip with my bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lots of opinions. My touring spares list is:

Spokes
Brake inner cable
Gear inner cable
Brake pads
Chain quick link
Few assorted allen screws
2 inner tubes
Puncture repair kit
Cable ties
Improvised tyre boot

Everything is checked before I go so perhaps a bit OTT, however I take the view that it may not be me that is in need. Possibly a throwback to a mountaineering background.

Have a great trip. I initially though "cross country" wouldn't be a great challenge, then I noticed which country you are in.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, I am not posting to say how wonderful I am. I am just wanting to share to everyone that I'm going on a United States trip with my bike. That's all.
Absolutely brilliant thing to do. Enjoy every mile!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Spokes
Brake inner cable
Gear inner cable
Brake pads
Chain quick link
2 inner tubes
Puncture repair kit
Cable ties
Improvised tyre boot

Everything is checked before I go so perhaps a bit OTT, however I take the view that it may not be me that is in need. Possibly a throwback to a mountaineering background.

Have a great trip. I initially though "cross country" wouldn't be a great challenge, then I noticed which country you are in.
That's a pretty good list. When I think of "stuff that's broken on my bike and stopped me riding" in the past few years, that list covers everything. I've never had a snapped cable but they weigh next to nothing so why not.

OP
OP
R

ridelover9941

Spokes
Brake inner cable
Gear inner cable
Brake pads
Chain quick link
2 inner tubes
Puncture repair kit
Cable ties
Improvised tyre boot

And at least one rear spare derailleur just in case it breaks hundreds and hundreds of miles away from the next town that has a bike shop.

OP
OP
R

ridelover9941

@ridelover9941 , those guys are just joking, they're a funny bunch around here (at least they think they are :smile:)

Anyway where are you planning to go?
All over United States.

Slick

Guru
I hear ya. No offense but I don't care for single speed. I need to change my gears, as if I stay in one gear too much I get the urge to change my gears. It's just something I'm used to.
I hear ya, it's just what I was told when mine broke.

I didn't actually fix it like that, but I did push it for a bit before phoning for help. :whistle:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
It's almost impossible to break a rear derailleur whilst riding the bike if set up correctly......unless you fall off or something. In which case, if its an alloy frame the hanger might bend or snap so you might as well carry a spare hanger too. If the frame is steel, you can just bend the hanger straight again.
I really wouldn't bother carrying a spare rear derailleur on the 'just in case' possibility of breaking it. Using that logic, you might as well tow an entire spare bike behind you.

albal

Guru
Good luck. I did the southern Tier and Transam. Both very enjoyable, T/A was on quiet roads mainly, the largest city on the route was Pueblo CO. Pop: 500.000. Never done the Northern tier..yet, tho did cross Canada this year. Totally envious.

Top Bottom