Planted your veg yet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Planted my seed trays last week thinking-haha- we wont see any frosts now:angry:

My second year as a veggie virgin...learned from a few mistakes last year, leaving the swede till july, planted the seed spuds deeper etc :smile:

My back garden is thin soil over rubble from the extension-done before we arrived- so i have to use large troughs and barrels had a decent crop of spuds, carrots onions radishes etc last year so not having a garden as such is no obstacle............(or excuse):biggrin:

So far i have planted lettuce, spring onion, carrot, basil, parsley, chives, seed potato's, beetroot, red onions, parsnips, a few snowball turnips ( too early?:smile:) and some olde-world purple carrots

The wildlife corner and border of the garden produces its own rhubarb raspberries and brambles yum yum:thumbsup:

barq

Ah good for you. I've got loads of herbs, salad leaves and a few tomatoes this year. My old man used to have an allotment with carrots and potatoes, but I have to say it was an awful lot of work. So (keeping in mind I don't have much space) I've gone with the plants that are easy and yield something that would be expensive in the shops. I wish I were better at staggering the planting because last year I had about a bazillion tomatoes in the space of two weeks! On the up side I got to eat delicious tomato pasta every day. :biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
We've inherited an allotment as the garden is a bit small and the broad beans, garlic and onions are coming along nicely. The spuds went in last week and the peas are shooting up. I hope the frosts don't do any damage - I'm by no means an expert. Raspberries are good value if you have the room.

Arch

Married to Night Train
My onion sets are in - dunno if I'll equal last years crop, which has seen me right through to now, with a few more left to use... Didn't get much else grown last year, but should be getting some broad beans in soon (a bit late really) and then the usual courgettes (crop failed last year, unheard of!), sweetcorn and stuff, which I'll probably buy as plants rather than do seedlings. With the allotment being a mile from home, I'm tending to stick to things I can bung straight in the ground.

And I transplanted some strawberry runners so have even more of them this year, and rescued a couple of feral raspberry canes from the path outside my gate and planted them up properly, so I may get more than the dozen raspberries over the whole year. Or I may not.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My garlic is growing well, all the rest is carefully hiding under the soil apart from one lone carrot seedling that I noticed yesterday had appeared. So far planted toms, squash, chilli, pepper, watercress, beetroot, lettuce, chard and corriander.

Last year was our first year too - and we got the sucessional planting wrong too - far too much spinach and nowhere near enough carrots - I followed the advice that said to avoid carrot fly put seed in at the correct spacing which didn't allow for half of it not coming up!!!

Still to plant fennel, jerusalem artichoke, cucumber and rocket. All in a little part of my back garden - and this year we are going to grow some in the front garden too.

U

User482

Gary Askwith said:
So far i have planted lettuce, spring onion, carrot, basil, parsley, chives, seed potato's, beetroot, red onions, parsnips, a few snowball turnips ( too early?:biggrin:) and some olde-world purple carrots

This is my second year as a "proper" veg grower. I've planted the seed spuds and garlic, and sown the carrots, leeks, lettuce, broccoli, beetroot, onion, basil, rocket and french beans. Luckily all the seedlings except the carrots are in trays in a mini greenhouse, so have survived the frosts we've had the last 2 nights. The things I won't be repeating from last year are savoy cabbage (destroyed by caterpillars) and turnips (never ripened).

I did feel very virtuous as I was manuring the veg patch with poo from my hens!

On the fruit side I have raspberries, strawberries, loganberries, goosberries, blackcurrants & apple tree. To those who grow runners from their strawbs - how do you find them? Mine never seem to do very well.

I don't grow much of any one crop as I don't have enough space. On the plus side this means that I don't get bored with gluts of a particular crop, but on the downside seeds can expire before I finish the packet.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Onions spuds arsnips spinach are in for this year- fingers crossed the frost hasn't done for them. Brassicas leeks and toms are on the side in the kitchen sprouting~ Asparagus is in from last year should be a good 'un that.

Still got about 4 3X3M beds to fill mind......Pumpkins sweetcorn carrots and beans methinks.

OP
OP
GaryA

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Last years weather did not help Arch.....:biggrin: constant waterlogging, a plague of slugs and snails of biblical proportions-at least here in the NE; the little devils massacred my leaks and attacked the swedes...... I had thought of putting a line of grease around the troughs, i tired beer in saucers without much success

I'm sure i'm preaching to the converted in this thread but just in case...if you have not tried the taste of things like fresh organic carrots or pentland spuds from your garden you dont know what you are missing :thumbsup:

Brings back memories of my grandad who grew all sorts on his allotment...the taste we just took for granted but it does provide insight into the oft used phrase that 'things just dont taste ther same anymore' damn true in the case of supermarket fruit & veg :smile:

Got my name down for allotment place but the waiting list is 4 yrs...just in time for young ploppy james to be joining me I'm sure :angry:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Really struggling to get the allotment up and running this year. Hopefully the spuds will be in this weekend as long as I can get a fork in the ground which has been the problem whenever I have tried to get up there this year. Excellent year last year for runner beans, peas, sweetcorn and pumpkins but the spuds suffered from blight and we lost virtually the whole lot.

On the fruit side we planted out last year white, red and black current bushes so hoping to get something from them this year as well as rasberries.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
summerdays said:
to avoid carrot fly

Get a length of string the length of a row and soak in jeyes fluid. Stretch and peg out over the row and the dreaded carrot fly will stay away :angry:

OP
OP
GaryA

GaryA

Subversive Sage
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Get a length of string the length of a row and soak in jeyes fluid. Stretch and peg out over the row and the dreaded carrot fly will stay away :biggrin:

The undiluted stuff?
I used to use the diluted stuff to discourage the local mutts from crapping in the front garden...they dont like it up the hooter :angry:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Every time I thought I might have a chance to get started on the allotment this year the weather's been crap, on those few occasions it was nice I went cycing instead.

Still, got potatoes in last weekend and Ms.P put the onion sets in. Hopefully get some more done this weekend, haven't even got the broad beans started yet (I generally put 'em in in the spring rather than overwintering)

Top Bottom