Planted your veg yet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Thanks very much - I will go and search the local B&Q

Andrew

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm having my 1st year as experimental veg grower (got lots of advice last autumn from various folks on here...thangyew...)
Just planted out my courgettes, which I'd sprouted on kitchen window... within 24 hours, all plants decimated by slugs! Without resorting to flamethrowers, any easy remedies (for getting rid of slugs). Beer? Or is that just for me?
Otherwise, garlic doing well, shallotts on the way, peas coming up, broad beans doing OK (a little slug damage)... carrots, swedes, various herbs all seemingly alright...

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Growing lots of stuff as ever. We've already had our first rhubarb, and may have some salad leaves in a week or two. We've got shungiku, shiso, beetroot, chard, turnips, carrots all coming thorugh out the front, and various beans and pumpkins, aubergines and cucumbers emerging in pots out back. The slugs would be being kept off the front by our amazing barrier of crushed mussel shells if the neighbourhood cats didn't keep coming and digging it up!

Fnaar said:
Without resorting to flamethrowers, any easy remedies (for getting rid of slugs).

If anyone does know, please pass on the secret! It's not just that they eat all the veg (which they do), it's more the random sliming around in the kitchen that really bugs me....I don't know what kind they are, but they are large and yellow *shudder* ;)

They aren't interested in beer, and after seeing a snail sitting quite happily on a mega-spiny cactus last year (one that can only be repotted using barbeque tongs), I'm not sure any of these 'crushed eggshells around the plant' theories are worth the effort. Can't really coat the kitchen floor with spikes anyway can I??

U

User482

Growing Success make eco/ pet friendly slug pellets - I find them pretty good. I had no success at all with the nemaslug thing.

Had my first rhubarb & salad leaves last week - yum yum.

justAl

everything is growing well at the moment. Early spuds are well up, shallots, broad beans and onions looking good. Again, had first of rhubarb and salad stuff. Also,for some reason, this year the garlic is looking really good and I haven't do anything different. But I just don't have any look with spring onions, they either don't germinate, or if they do end up, piddly

No slug problems here so far (crosses everything available) but we've got ants eating my sweetcorn seedlings, mare's tail coming up everywhere and feckin' bindweed trying to get it's nasty little feet under the table. It's not all bad though, the onions, shallots and garlic are going well and we've been dining handsomely on radishes for the last week. xx(

Cab

Going okay on the plot so far this year. Not TOO far behind, except with peas.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Here's a question....
being a novice, and wanting to let the kids parttake in the gardening stuff, I got youngest to put carrot sseds in a pot (with a view to growing them in the pot).
Due to a misunderstanding, she put all the seeds in one pot, and now i have gazillions of tiny shoots growing out of a pot. Common sense tells me that they can't all grow, and i should get rid of some. So, how many can you grow in a 10" pot? Or can i put some in a bigger pot? Or should I just buy some carrots? xx(

Cab said:
Going okay on the plot so far this year. Not TOO far behind, except with peas.
Everything seems to be a bit late this year. I'm just hoping that the good weather keeps up. It'll do the sweetcorn/squash/courgettes/Jerusalem artichokes/pak-choi/mooli/broad-beans/carrots good. Oh and the raspberries/blackberries/broccoli/cabbage/French beans.

Cab

Oh, and currently eating from the plot purple sprouting broccoli, kale, parsnips, potatoes (last years still!), garlic, winter squashes, beetroot, chard, spring onions, carrots, lettuce, rocket, cabbage, mizuna, mibuna, herbs of course, and other bits and bobs. Not bad for the 'hungry gap' xx(

Cab

Chuffy said:
Everything seems to be a bit late this year. I'm just hoping that the good weather keeps up. It'll do the sweetcorn/squash/courgettes/Jerusalem artichokes/pak-choi/mooli/broad-beans/carrots good. Oh and the raspberries/blackberries/broccoli/cabbage/French beans.

Naah, don't worry about the season being late, its merely later than the last few which were all early xx( It'll be fine, later sown seedlings will catch up right as rain.

Fnaar said:
Here's a question....
being a novice, and wanting to let the kids parttake in the gardening stuff, I got youngest to put carrot sseds in a pot (with a view to growing them in the pot).
Due to a misunderstanding, she put all the seeds in one pot, and now i have gazillions of tiny shoots growing out of a pot. Common sense tells me that they can't all grow, and i should get rid of some. So, how many can you grow in a 10" pot? Or can i put some in a bigger pot? Or should I just buy some carrots? xx(
The instructions that I've got for carrots says that they should be thinned out to about 2" inches apart. Try radishes. They grow very, very easily and very fast. Great if you have to keep a kid's interest up.

Cab

Fnaar said:
Here's a question....

How many carrots in a 10" pot all depends on how deep it is and what variety of carrots. Thin them out, thats for sure, but without knowing depth and variety I can't say exactly how far... So what kind of carrots, how deep is it?

Top Bottom