Planted your veg yet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

summerdays said:
When you sow successionally - how long do you leave it between each sowing? I'm still waiting for the first lot to come up, currently about 3 per row and they were planted back in March I think ... not sure if the slug has been eatting well.

What, carrots? If they were sowed in March but not up yet then odds are they're not coming, at least, not many of them. Can happen with carrots. Most years (this year included) I sow some of the round type in February, in a trough, covered till the weather warms up, then depending on the weather I sow some more every couple of weeks in April and May, although this year was a bit colder than the last few so I didn't get started with those till the middle of April, and that row is about up now.

I guess if yours were sown later in March... Really no sign of them at all?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Cab said:
I guess if yours were sown later in March... Really no sign of them at all?
Yep really - ok I will plant some more later today.

Chris James

Über Member
My Maestro's are only just starting to break the surface in the last two days and were sown early April. My Parmex in troughs planted about two weeks ago are coming through.

redcogs

Guru
Two rows of 'first earlies', four rows of 'second earlies', two rows of 'main crop'. Two rows onion sets. One row garlic. One row parsley. One row beetroot. Half a row architokes. Considering some peas, brocolli, possibly some neeps. tomatoes and coriander in greenhouse section of sheddy.

Beautiful day today.

redcogs said:
Two rows of 'first earlies', four rows of 'second earlies', two rows of 'main crop'. Two rows onion sets. One row garlic. One row parsley. One row beetroot. Half a row architokes. Considering some peas, brocolli, possibly some neeps. tomatoes and coriander in greenhouse section of sheddy.

Beautiful day today.

Let us know if you manage to feed yourselves, or if you have to buy some in from the capitalist surplus at Morrisons. :becool:

wafflycat

I'm giving 'grow your own' a go for the first time this year. I'm a crap gardener, so I'm starting easily. I've got a couple or three of different variety tomatoes and three types of peppers. I've got them in big pots in the back garden, which is south-facing so it's warm, and we're in the driest part of the country, so I'm hoping for reasonable weather. The only thing I've been able to grow with any success until now are cacti. I'm a whizz at cacti. Anything else I tend to kill-off. Oh, I've got a couple of varieties of thyme growing, oregano, mint, rosemary & sage in big pots.

So this summer I hope to be eating mostly very fresh eggs, with lots of tomatoes & peppers made into suaces, soups and in salads..

Cab

wafflycat said:
I'm giving 'grow your own' a go for the first time this year. I'm a crap gardener, so I'm starting easily. I've got a couple or three of different variety tomatoes and three types of peppers. I've got them in big pots in the back garden, which is south-facing so it's warm, and we're in the driest part of the country, so I'm hoping for reasonable weather.

What kind of toms? Bush or cordon?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have now got my runner bean plants and dwarf french bean, 1st crop plants up. This morning I built the frame for the runners, 28 canes and put some more dwarf bean seed in . The courgettes are not yet showing, nor the leeks, but the greyhound cabbage is. Another couple of months and the winter cabbage will be sown. My tomatoes, Alicante, at the third time of sowing, the first two got caught by the frost as I didn't bring them in in time one night, are only a couple of inches high, but I may get a late crop if the summer lasts

Cab

Paulus said:
My tomatoes, Alicante, at the third time of sowing, the first two got caught by the frost as I didn't bring them in in time one night, are only a couple of inches high, but I may get a late crop if the summer lasts

Naah, you just watch, they'll soon catch up with where the others would have been. Warmer weather, more sun, they'll be fine.

U

User482

My carrots also seem to be very slow in germinating - I planted them over a month ago and they're only just coming up. On the plus side, every one of my first & second early seed spuds have come up a treat.

I seem to have a garden infested with aphids, yet no sign of any ladybirds. Any tips on how I might attract them into the garden? I've been using an organic insecticide which kind of works, but the aphids soon come back, probably because the ants are farming them. I don't use chemicals on my fruit and veg so any other advice welcome...

Top Bottom