Planted your veg yet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
User482 said:
Crapping in my garden attracts ladybirds?!

It attracts lots of things. :biggrin:

Cab

wafflycat said:
Red ones...

:biggrin:

It will help you to know whether they're 'bush' (also known as determinate) or 'cordon' (also known as indeterminate) varieties. The former are grown as bushy plants, they grow so high and stop, produce fruit, dead easy, whereas the latter keep going up and up, you can get better and earlier harvests by pinching the top out after so many trusses of fruit have appeared, and you should also consider pinching out all of the side shoots (and removing leaves under the fruit... theres an art to it, but don't worry over the finer points!).

Shout out the variety names if you know them, and I'm sure that either I'll know what kind or someone else will.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well two nights ago half my corriander seedings disappeared so I went out last night and picked off 15 slugs after dark in my small raised bed. I think I know why I'm not having a great year for my seedings - slugs Slugs SLUGS:angry::thumbsup:.

So I will have to do regular slug patrols for the next couple of weeks.

nice to see a homegrown veg thread- must have missed it before, i too grow my own- although this is my first year.. I have very small garden and grow only in pots and containers as my sons toys take up all the grass!

im growing tons of tomatoes in hanging baskets, strawberries(from seed- wont crop this season), parsnips, carrots, charlotte potatoes, lots of herrbs, garlics (seem to be dieing), some onions, aubergines, courgettes, and have blueberry and blackberry bushes..

its really satisfying now that things are starting to grow..

however, when i saw my son leaning over my onions and garlic, and asked from inside "What are you doing there Oliver"- and he stood up and said "cutting plants daddy", with scissors in his hands, and an innocent look on his face, I was not impressed....

but could only smile and tell him to stop it.. why is it the bad things they do are sometimes so sweet??

summerdays said:
Well two nights ago half my corriander seedings disappeared so I went out last night and picked off 15 slugs after dark in my small raised bed. I think I know why I'm not having a great year for my seedings - slugs Slugs SLUGS:angry::thumbsup:.

So I will have to do regular slug patrols for the next couple of weeks.

In North Wales, they grow to the size of a Walrus and they've discovered my courgettes. :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I am afraid, we do use slug pellets - the bio ones - not terribly green, but there are that many snails it's impossible to control - not many slugs, just billions of snails.....

For aphids - try a soap solution spray (i.e.a bit of washing up liquid) on the plants - will remove them, but you will need to re-treat.

Once we lost loads of plants to vine weevil - blooming destructive things - all the potted shrubs died. Treatment with nematodes over a couple of years stopped this completely (it's a parasite that kills off vine weevils). Touch wood, we haven't had a problem since !

Speicher

Vice Admiral
The err :blush: flowering plant in my garden that gets most munched is Solomon's seal. The white blobby shaped thingy that does the munching just likes the leaves. Usually I forget until too late, (and now its too dark to go and have a look). When "they" have finished munching those leaves, they do not seem to progress to anything else in the garden. What is it that is so selective. I do not like to use chemicals in the garden, will soapy water deter them?

I presume that what is left of the leaves, returns some energy (?) to the roots/bulbs, and that next years plants might be stronger, more numerous if not affected by this small furry whitey thing.

Please excuse the technological terminology I have used :sad::blush:

Cab

Planted out fifth succesional batch of lettuce this weekend, alongside third lot of peas, runner beans (three varieties, on three six-pole tepees), and fourth succesional sowing of carrots (third one straight in the ground, the earliest one is in a trough). Also first courgettes planted out, three other varieties to follow.

Weeded parsnips, onions and shallots, potted up tomatoes.

Top Bottom