Plastic Disc Between Cassette and Wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colinr

Is there an easy way of getting this off my new bike without removing the cassette? Last time I removed one was from a friends bike and involved knives, pliers and cursing, must be a better way!

g00se

Veteran
Ah - pie plates. Or to quote BSNYC - also known as “dork discs,” “nerd coasters,” “Minneapolis frisbees,” “45rpm singles,” “idiot pucks,” and “moron shingles”.

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2008/04/pie-in-sky-world-without-spoke.html

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

Haha, Bike Snob is a brilliant blog. But how do I get the beast off! Someone suggested melting but I can't see how I'd do that.

zexel

Veteran
Isn't the cassette removal tool about a tenner? Actually you need a chain whip too.

You could borrow mine. :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No hope mate, cassette off, otherwise it's knives and force - removed the one off my son's bike by the 'forceful' method after his freewheel wouldn't come off.

Will1985

Über Member
Borrow one...it's a 30 second job. I definitely have a Campag one and I'm pretty sure I have a Shimano one as well.

battered

Guru
I'd like to see a man remove and refit a cassette in 30 seconds.:biggrin:

It's not bad though, I swapped one yesterday, more accurately I swapped a wheel and retained a cassette.

My "dork disc" is staying on my MTB, having seen the damage a chain dump can do to spokes I'll look a little less cool according to our New Yoiker who is probably now riding a fixie across 4th and Hennepin while wearing baggy shorts.:sad:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
For God's sake.

Why go through all that trouble to remove something the is viewed by a minority as dorky. There must be some purpose to it so leave it on and enjoy your ride.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

I ride a fixie while wearing baggy shorts on most days, so removing the disc was exactly the right thing to do. Anyway, it's done now, just had to do it the hard way.

Top Bottom