please, can anyone identify this headset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Campagnolo, I think mid 1990s, no obvious name on it.

If anyone can identify the model and even better tell me the stack height it would be greatly appreciated .

The stack seems to be 43mm ish, but as a fork needs to be cut down, i’d like to be sure:smile:

08A360C3-BB12-4C3A-BFEF-23FF30DA0FA5.jpeg

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You can just measure the stack height. Overall height as assembled in the photo (from the table top to just below the locknut seal), then knock off the length of the "tangs" that are pressed into the head tube. Have the fork cut down to a few mm longer than necessary and add a spacer. This means more headset choice in future. It's hard to add it back on again!

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
I agree. Relying on data that someone on here will give you rather than your measurement seems irrational (to me).

You have obviously never seen me try to measure anything :laugh:

Anyway, went out and aquired a caliper/vernier thingy:okay: Measured 4 times and the last two times came away with the same reading ,so I think it is 45mm. I will go and sleep on it and measure again in the morning just to be on the safe side.:rolleyes: I also have a couple of spacers giving me 4mm to play with.

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Blimey, Have you seen the prices. £100 for an old Dura Ace Headset. Good job I bought two a few years back.

It is Velovilles, my go to website...when I want to show that spending £50 was a smart piece of shopping because "they sell for two or three times that, just look at this website":laugh:

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
It looks like a second generation Campagnolo Corsa Record (aka C-Record) headset that's lost its lower plastic ring. Was a high quality item in its day.

http://www.bikerecyclery.com/campagnolo-c-record-headset-2nd-gen-w-black-insets/

ts_for_sale_shop_12835__31118.1490737777.1280.1280.jpg

Although it may also be a Record O.R. headset, one iteration of which looks quite similar. If it is, there is a useful explanation of the variations in that era of Record headsets in the Retrobike forum thread linked to below:

Record O.R. headset

Is it 1" or 1+1/8"?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BalkanExpress
It looks like a second generation Campagnolo Corsa Record (aka C-Record) headset that's lost its lower plastic ring. Was a high quality item in its day.

http://www.bikerecyclery.com/campagnolo-c-record-headset-2nd-gen-w-black-insets/

View attachment 522117

Although it may also be a Record O.R. headset, one iteration of which looks quite similar. If it is, there is a useful explanation of the variations in that era of Record headsets in the Retrobike forum thread linked to below:

Record O.R. headset

Is it 1" or 1+1/8"?

I think you are right, there is a slight indentation/band in the bottom cup that could have held the plastic ring. When you handle the pieces they feel quality, if that makes any sense.

It is 1"

Top Bottom