Please complete this short survey about bike types

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh the survey seems to have fixed itself now and I am not going around in circles. I'm really not sure what help any of that was to the op. Obvious picture, obvious answer.

OP
OP
N

Nemesis205bw

So I got alot of troll responses which I deleted. Total number of responses left is 20 and the average scores for each invidual bike are:

Road bike average 2.72
Cyclocross bike 3.10
MTB 29er hardtail 3.26
MTB 26er full suspension 2.81

That means MTB 29er is the winner and the most all around universal bike. Thx everyone for participating.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
If you want to ride all those types of track, then you are probably right. You can ride the MTB on the road (although it won't let you go as fast as a road bike would), but you wouldn't manage with a road bike on that lumpiest track!
But this is why many people have more than one bike!

So I got alot of troll responses which I deleted. Total number of responses left is 20 and the average scores for each invidual bike are:

Road bike average 2.72
Cyclocross bike 3.10
MTB 29er hardtail 3.26
MTB 26er full suspension 2.81

That means MTB 29er is the winner and the most all around universal bike. Thx everyone for participating.
Bless! You obviously like "hard data". Sadly, this isn't hard data. You have no idea of the expertise of the people filling in the form and 20 people isn't enough for the wisdom of crowds.

If I had to chose a bike using only your results, I would factor each trail by the percentage of riding I would be doing on each surface. Also, if I was planning on doing any riding on surfaces like the last one, I would rule out road bikes and cyclocross.

To be fair, if this is your first bike, you don't know what sort of riding you will be doing, so the hard tail is probably not a bad choice.

OP
OP
N

Nemesis205bw

I guess you are right. The truth is I always had this dilema between 2 bikes: CX and 29er. I put the other types to this survey to see how they compare.
Both bikes scored similiar, if I factor weight of scores on each trail they would probably come up very close in rating. I still dont know what would be best for me because I like speed but I also like riding on some rough terrain, CX would do the first but because of thinner tires and lack of damper it would be difficult to ride on forest routes when 29er would shine.

potsy

Rambler
If you are riding all of those types of surfaces then you really need two bikes.
You can do them with one but it will always be a compromise.

OP
OP
N

Nemesis205bw

BTW my current bike is old wheeler MTB 26" hardtail (PRO 900 model). I dont ride it often but I want to start some serious riding (mostly for fitness and fun). I like discovering new routes and places

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Or a Hybrid. :becool:

BTW my current bike is old wheeler MTB 26" hardtail (PRO 900 model). I dont ride it often but I want to start some serious riding (mostly for fitness and fun). I like discovering new routes and places
Is that bike moribund? Do you only have room for one bike? If not, keep that bike and get one that complements it. Road or CX.

Alternatively, if you love that bike, but it needs replacing, then the hard tail or full sus.

Though I wonder why you are asking us, thanks for the new twist on the "what bike should I buy?" theme.

OP
OP
N

Nemesis205bw

Is that bike moribund? Do you only have room for one bike? If not, keep that bike and get one that complements it. Road or CX.

Alternatively, if you love that bike, but it needs replacing, then the hard tail or full sus.

Though I wonder why you are asking us, thanks for the new twist on the "what bike should I buy?" theme.
This bike is old but still works however its not very good in quality and performance (worth only 300$-400$ new) thats why I wanted to upgrade to some real bike. I dont think I would ride it again even if I bought CX to complement it. I wish I could try both: the 29er and CX offroad and see how they perform. Shop assistant allows only to sit on that bike inside shop, cant even test ride it.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ok to be serious. Does your ride really take in all those environments? I spent 6 months using my hardtail as a commuting bike purely on road. I lost about 1mph over my commuter and maybe 2 over the best bike. Therefore for an all rounder it's a hardtail

Top Bottom