Which bike to choose?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1. Giant Anyroad 2
2. Giant Revolt 3
3. KTM Life Cross

I will ride mostly on forest roads, sometimes on streets or harder terrain. I want universal bike that is fun to ride on any terrain.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
GT Grade......

Yorksman

For me, I'd choose the KTM, because of the riding position. That's probably your best starting point. How do you feel sat on the thing? It's easy to get hung up on this or that bit of kit, but comfort is the best place to start if its just for fun..

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Someone will be along in a minute to say suspension forks are worse than useless at this price point.

And that someone would be right.

That rules out the KTM, unless you really want an upright, sit-up-and-beg flat bar trekking bike - nothing wrong with that type of bike, I have one.

The Revolt looks more stretched out and racy than the Anyroad, a position that might not suit a new cyclist.

The Anyroad also has three gear rings at the front, which will give a much wider range, handy if you are not mega fit.

By the way, it's always worth posting links to the bikes you are thinking of.

Go on then, as you are new:

http://www.ktm-bikes.at/en/bikes/tr..._id=95&cHash=90d756a6d280a9836cb149c9b2f30ef7

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p84044/Gi...aign=Adwords&gclid=CM63hrHexcsCFcsp0wodpecFVA

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/gian...id85911.html?gclid=CJbYkt_excsCFYIW0wod7LIKgA

OP
OP
N

Nemesis205bw

So its between KTM and Anyroad. Which bike of these 2 is better on road and which is better off road? I also read that the riding position on anyroad is very comfortable and a little different then on typical cx, but KTM would be more comfortable anyways? Also KTM is 4kg heavier.
Anyroad can be ridden like trekking because it has 2 sets of brakes which is advantage I think.

BTW My previous bike was quite old MTB Wheeler Pro 900 (cant find english link to it) but I didnt ride it very often.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Anyroad would be a bit handier on the road, but both bikes will do what you want them to do.

The KTM would feel more comfortable straight away due to its upright riding position,, the Anyroad might take some getting used to, but plenty of people ride bikes like that for hours on end, so they can be comfortable.

Not much in the brakes, the KTM has hydraulic rim brakes, still very popular on the continent, but rarely seen in the UK.

They work well, possibly better than cable-actuated discs which the Anyroad has.

I think the propstand on the KTM tells you something about the use its designed for - slowish, all day rides, stopping here, there and everywhere as you fancy.

The Anyroad is aimed at faster, point to point riding.

OP
OP
N

Nemesis205bw

hmm I am still not sure what to pick. I really like the looks of anyroad but the lack of damper and hydraulic brakes are a bit of a let down. KTM is supossed to be more comfortable too. Do you think this gravel would be better offroad then KTM?

OP
OP
N

Nemesis205bw

So I went to store to test anyroad 2. They had only M size and it felt too small (I am 180cm 68kg). The assistant told me this kind of bike is not as good off road as trekking, is that true?

Yorksman

I'm in my 60s, have a heart problem ride offroad but only on flatish tracks. I built my first bike using cheap bits but found that the addition of butterfly handlbars suited my riding position, which is upright. On holiday in Austria, I hired a couple of mountain bikes and, even though I stayed in the nice flat bottomed valleys, I liked the wide choice of gears. I bought a Scott Scale when I got back to the UK. I had to buy some handlebars which had a rise of a couple of inches and fiddle around with the seating to get a nice comfy position and I really like this lighter bike. It is however more of an effort to on solid ground because of the wider chunkier tyres. When I started to plan for touring, I got a heavier touring bike with butterfly handlebars, good gear range, trekking type tyres. It is a more comfortable seating position but requires more effort to 'get going', because it is heavier - it has things like a dynamo, racks and so on. Once going though, it has more momentum and so I can pedal with a slower cadence - it coasts better. A route I often ride which takes me 90 mins on the Scott takes me 1 hr 10 mins on this, but, its not quite as much fun because the lighter MTB seems more responsive. My mate went so far as to take his wheels off his Whyte MTB and replace them with trekking wheels. He claims he has the best of both words but, he has to have a rucksack on his back if we need to take anything with us. That can detract from the free and easy feel of a spritley bike.

Yorksman

So I went to store to test anyroad 2. They had only M size and it felt too small (I am 180cm 68kg). The assistant told me this kind of bike is not as good off road as trekking, is that true?

It depends on what they mean by off road. The could mean a dirt track, a path by a canal or a forest trail, or they could be thinking sand or mud, rocks or tree roots. Even a path such as the one below would be awkward for narrow tyres because the stones are loose.

slate_mulch.jpg

I have been on the Trans Pennine Trail where a section was newly laid like this, though it was sandstone, and it wasn't a pleasure. It would be OK later after it was 'rolled in' by walkers and cyclists but on that day, I wish I had been on the MTB.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

I agree the assistant may have misunderstood what you mean by 'off road'.

The Anyroad is a cyclocross bike, if you google a few cyclocross videos you will see the sport involves a lot of mud and some very tough going.

The Anyroad can certainly handle as difficult terrain as a trekking bike, if not more so because the Anyroad has a bit more tread on the tyres.

OP
OP
N

Nemesis205bw

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thx for comment.
How would this bike do on offroads like this
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ęże_lasek.JPG/800px-Katowice_Załęże_lasek.JPG
or this
http://www.wichitafallstx.gov/ImageRepository/Document?documentID=27134
or this?
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/moun...road-magetan-east-java-indonesia-35563158.jpg

Sorry for asking so many questions, I just want to be sure before I buy this (quite expensive in my country) bike so I dont have any regreds.

Fine for pic one, OK for pic two, but you might struggle a bit on pic three, depending on how good your bike handling skills are.

One thing's for sure, the KTM trekking bike wouldn't be too clever on pic three.

Top Bottom