Please don't like me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I'm on a site that counts how many you give, as well as how many you have given.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL7-CKirWZE

I tend to work very hard to keep my 'like karma' completely neutral.

In that case I'm a karmic catastrophe. Given my confession, I can't take solace in my Like Ratio, easily calculated by dividing likes by posts: currently 149% (expectations are that this will take a dip).

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWtUVDG5M1w&spfreload=10

Came across this little fact today:
Following the termination by the sheriff of Hampton, Virginia, US of employees who liked the Facebook page of an adversary, a federal appeals court in Virginia handed down a decision that the US Constitution protects the rights of US citizens to like any Facebook page of their choosing. US Circuit Judge William Traxler likened the practice to displaying a "political sign in one's front yard."

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've just finished judging the cycling photo competition and I know who is going to win :laugh:
I'm hoping the answer is .... Not you:tongue:

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
wellliked.gif

Nooooooo!

On the other hand, the rate of Likes has been dropping off, which indicates either the quality of my posts has dipped dramatically, or the hyper-don't-like-'er-link in my sig is finally working.

mysig2.gif

I do sometimes watch others gather Likes like plums and sigh wistfully… Must remember: I've chosen this life.

yello

There are only so many likes in the world. Use them wisely.

There are 2 ways of dealing with the situation where the number of likes requested exceeds the number available. Neither are ideal;

1) likes are removed from those overly bestowed and redistributed. This leads to resentment and social disruption.

2) the value of an individual like is reduced to enable the creation of more, but lesser value, likes. This, in simple economic terms, is devaluation. We are liking things less than we used to, despite the apparent numeric equality.

Please, in the interests of social cohesion and the value of a like, I beg you do not like this post.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
kmtvBo2.jpg

Is that the sound of Leonard Cohen I can hear................

Let's crank up Don McLean while we're at it!

View: https://youtu.be/N4cjBUeHHgU

I'm bumping this to thank everyone who has selflessly contributed to my 'Reaction score', which like a coupon must have a cash value, right? Or at least be of use for bartering purposes: collect enough and I can trade them in for this Enigma in the Classifieds. It's a centimetre too big, but I can adapt.

I also need to perform the public service of making good a bad link.
they could be loaded up and fired into an unsuspecting crowd (love that illustration).

Here it is in all its glory:

P4LQ7qK.jpg

Reactions are a fascinating subject.

yghxbJ2.jpg

The subtext does my head in, and I’ve got enough going on in there. It’s easier to sit the whole thing out.

Then again, maybe I overthink things.

View: https://youtu.be/Ex05XUddWMk
On edit: just after posting this I realised that nutshell would be better with Rodin's Thinker on it. No time, no time...

They have various uses, including to help feed addiction to social media.

My other fellow American Jaron Lanier, who had lockdown hair long before the pandemic, wrote a book called Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now. (He must have figured he had the whole cover, why not use it.) It’s a pretty good book. It seems I haven't taken his advice.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
View attachment 571526

Let's crank up Don McLean while we're at it!

View: https://youtu.be/N4cjBUeHHgU

I'm bumping this to thank everyone who has selflessly contributed to my 'Reaction score', which like a coupon must have a cash value, right? Or at least be of use for bartering purposes: collect enough and I can trade them in for this Enigma in the Classifieds. It's a centimetre too big, but I can adapt.

I also need to perform the public service of making good a bad link.

Here it is in all its glory:

View attachment 571527

Reactions are a fascinating subject.

View attachment 571528

The subtext does my head in, and I’ve got enough going on in there. It’s easier to sit the whole thing out.

Then again, maybe I overthink things.

On edit: just after posting this I realised that nutshell would be better with Rodin's Thinker on it. No time, no time...
View: https://youtu.be/Ex05XUddWMk

They have various uses, including to help feed addiction to social media.

My other fellow American Jaron Lanier, who had lockdown hair long before the pandemic, wrote a book called Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now. (He must have figured he had the whole cover, why not use it.) It’s a pretty good book. It seems I haven't taken his advice.

How many more 'likes' have you accrued in the last 5.5 (ish) years? :smile:

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
1,949 – unless Points are somehow mixed up in it. Prolly not enough for that Enigma, which is a shame, as I have room. I’d need to paint the rest of it black though.

View: https://youtu.be/IIW9sL-Yf6Q

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I can't get away from feeling a bit churlish and aloof, if I don't like things sometimes.

It's a bit like, I dunno not smiling at people in appreciation.

Or stonily refusing to laugh, at their funny jokes, or not caring if they're upset.

But yes, do think far more can be read into them than is actually there.

I understand some folks get quite paranoid if their post doesn't receive likes, and some others do.

I expect this is just an exacerbation of a personal tendency to be insecure already, but it probs doesn't help.

As a counter note to all this, here are some chickens in their freshly moved 'lockdown' bubble.

They are also having their freedoms somewhat curtailed due to their own 'flu varient'

Go on give a like...

Or don't.

I'm pretty sure they don't care either way.

It's all about the green green grass, to them.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I can't get away from feeling a bit churlish and aloof, if I don't like things sometimes. It's a bit like, I dunno not smiling at people in appreciation. Or stonily refusing to laugh, at their funny jokes, or not caring if they're upset...
I get it. The problem is, once you’re in, you’re in. I understand that most people probably do it reflexively, which is fine, but to me, it would be another little headache. Which is of no nevermind, we’ve all got our quirks. I brought it up originally because indeed I did feel a bit churlish and aloof, and in ‘splaining myself, hoped it might spark an interesting discussion.

I never expected chickens. They’re just a bonus.

mustang1

Guru
I 'like' things not necessarily if I agree with the poster's opinion. Even if I disagree with, if the point is well made, I may give it a like. People will construe this as me agreeing with that viewpoint, but that's not always the case. I also like if someone has made an effort to post a pic, but again, not always.

I've started not liking things (such as youtube videos) if I expect a certain standard of video from that youtuber. If s/he has gone above and beyond what they normally produce, i may give a like.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I've started not liking things (such as youtube videos) if I expect a certain standard of video from that youtuber. If s/he has gone above and beyond what they normally produce, i may give a like.
So a little bit like tipping, which is quite big in the States for reasons having to do with appalling wages. (I’ve probably distantly TMN’d someone in making that comparison. ) I tip, btw. I’m not Mr Pink.

View: https://youtu.be/V4sbYy0WdGQ

Top Bottom