Please don't wear helmets*!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
It perpetuates the myth that cyclists safety is in our own hands!

Truck and car drivers will kill you and blame you. They need to know it's their behaviour that kills, not ours.

Also,
Glasgow Cyclist said:
How many threads have been started by someone imploring helmet-wearers to stop?

GC

*Please note that I neither condone nor condemn helmet wearing when cycling.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Your going to get them all started now ^_^

I am in little doubt that a helmet will not save me if I am hit by a truck or car. I dont think that they were designed for that. I think they were designed for the minor, or not so minor, off, that we have occasionally.

I dont think cyclists wearing or not wearing helmets, will ever influence other road users.

I have 4 helmets and wear one occasionally. I am an adult and that is the choice I make. We should all be allowed to make those choices without other people trying to influence us.

And I wear a viz vest as well ^_^

Profpointy

Legendary Member
snipped...

I dont think cyclists wearing or not wearing helmets, will ever influence other road users.

snipped

l ^_^

There is the well known effect of "risk compensation" so its very plausible that motorists (as well as the riders) take more risk when rider is helmetted. Some academic even published a paper measuring (closer) passing distances.

Not proven necessarily but ....

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I take more risks in my baseball Cap or Buff as they were cheaper than my helmets.

Do you think the academics actually rode the bikes? Because I would think they would already be influencing the results when they gave their briefing.

As a test dummy. I dont find that I get given any more or less room if I wear a helmet or Buff.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I've had a couple of people say to me that they consider a fully kitted up rider to be more experienced and able than a cyclist in everyday clothing, how that pans out across the population I don't know but it seems to me that the perception of a cyclists ability is affected by what they are wearing, how that relates to other road users actions around then, well I don't know that either, I'm not sure how much we can take from the close pass experiments.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
... I dont think that they were designed for that. I think they were designed for the minor, or not so minor, off, that we have occasionally.

I think they were designed as a product for cyclists to buy. If they're were designed as genuine piece of PPE, they'd be designed to withstand far greater impacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom