Please don't wear helmets*!!

Discussion in 'Helmet Discussions' started by Tin Pot, 27 Jul 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

It perpetuates the myth that cyclists safety is in our own hands!

Truck and car drivers will kill you and blame you. They need to know it's their behaviour that kills, not ours.

Also,
    *Please note that I neither condone nor condemn helmet wearing when cycling.

Reiver, jonny jeez, User259 and 5 others like this.
  2. Your going to get them all started now ^_^

I am in little doubt that a helmet will not save me if I am hit by a truck or car. I dont think that they were designed for that. I think they were designed for the minor, or not so minor, off, that we have occasionally.

I dont think cyclists wearing or not wearing helmets, will ever influence other road users.

I have 4 helmets and wear one occasionally. I am an adult and that is the choice I make. We should all be allowed to make those choices without other people trying to influence us.

And I wear a viz vest as well ^_^

User45, robjh, Lonestar and 2 others like this.
  3. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

There is the well known effect of "risk compensation" so its very plausible that motorists (as well as the riders) take more risk when rider is helmetted. Some academic even published a paper measuring (closer) passing distances.

Not proven necessarily but ....

buggi and Tin Pot like this.
  4. I take more risks in my baseball Cap or Buff as they were cheaper than my helmets.

Do you think the academics actually rode the bikes? Because I would think they would already be influencing the results when they gave their briefing.

As a test dummy. I dont find that I get given any more or less room if I wear a helmet or Buff.

5. Mugshot

Mugshot Guru

I've had a couple of people say to me that they consider a fully kitted up rider to be more experienced and able than a cyclist in everyday clothing, how that pans out across the population I don't know but it seems to me that the perception of a cyclists ability is affected by what they are wearing, how that relates to other road users actions around then, well I don't know that either, I'm not sure how much we can take from the close pass experiments.

6. david k

david k Hi

It's always the behaviour of car and truck drivers that kills? Is that conducive to a civil approach to road sharing?

7. But...just not proven

8. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

but highly plausible as I understand "risk compensation" is pretty much proven, and the Bristol bloke's paper adds credence albeit not proof

9. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

I think they were designed as a product for cyclists to buy. If they're were designed as genuine piece of PPE, they'd be designed to withstand far greater impacts.

Moon bunny, mickle, theclaud and 2 others like this.
  10. Pretty much...but not.

11. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

An old friend of mine was a rather lovely young lady

She used to reckon that the best safety clothing was a short skirt

Drivers use to slow down , give more room and pass more slowly

When I tried it ..... It did'nt work

12. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Moderator

Or a low top!

young Ed, Pat "5mph" and jonny jeez like this.
  13. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

P
    Perhaps it is the beard ...

But that didn't work for me either

young Ed, classic33 and summerdays like this.
  14. Dan B

Dan B Disengaged member

When did you last hear of a collision between two cyclists or two pedestrians that resulted in death?

Dirk and Tin Pot like this.
  15. david k

david k Hi

Not sure I ever have, but not sure what that has to do with the original question?

Is it always the truck or car drivers fault?

doog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice