Please help a 78 year old find the right bike ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briary9

Admin said:
Hello there,

Okay, so you've signed-up, got your user account, now all you need to do is get posting .... ah, um, er, What do I say?

Well, it's dead easy - just say Hello - believe me, once you get that first post under your belt you'll be off!

My name's Shaun by the way, and I own and operate CycleChat.

If you need any help or advice on using the forums, or want to ask a question but don't want to do it publicly - just send me a PM (private message).

Hope you enjoy, and welcome to CycleChat

Cheers,
Shaun :evil:
Hello Shaun,
Having had my last bike stolen I have decided to join your forum for guidance in order to get a replacement.
I am a very fit 78 year old male and cycle where ever possible purely for pleasure, there are some very pleasant rides around central Somerset.
My need is for a leasure bike, I am drawn towards the obvious quality of the Giant leasure bikes. Come on you experts, what do you think of the Expression N7, and the City CRS. Is the hub gearing on the Expression a good idea?
I look forward to a deluge of replies, don't let me down.
Regards briary9.

Norm

Greetings, Briary, welcome to CC. :evil: I'm not quite 78, although I do feel it after some rides. :biggrin:

The first thing said to anyone considering purchase is to get a ride on them. You might find that one or the other just feels perfect, and no comparison of specifications, geometry or colour schemes will tell you that. Make sure that they are set up for you, with the right saddle height and the stem adjusted. It'll take the shop 30 seconds to do that but you are investing some cash there so make sure they invest some time.

I have no personal experience of either of those bikes, although I do have a lot of time for Giant with 3 of them in my garage. :sad: I like the look of the Expression N7, with mudguards and rack already fitted, and hub gears and roller brakes, all you need to worry about are punctures and chain tension so it should be a pretty easy bike to own.

The City CRS is more "conventional", in as much as it has derailleurs and V brakes. These things are easier to tweak if you can do it yourself, but they can, IMO, need more frequent twiddling than the stuff on the Expression.

From the sheets, I'd go with the Expression because of the ease of maintenance but go ride, see which one you think will carry you for many miles of pleasure and leisure.:biggrin:

OP
OP
B

briary9

Hello Norm,
Thanks for the info, you have confirmed my thinking on the Expression. Now I have to afford it !!!
Before going ahead I will see if any other "old codgers " have any input.
Once again thanks for your constructive reply.
Regards, briary9.

Top Bottom