Please help me make a decision!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
Just buy locally? You could always ask your LBS for a deal

Or take your wife down south for the weekend, you go try the bikes

Are you really going to spend £2.5k on a bike you've never ridden on the advice of strangers? On that basis, get the Boardman, less of an expensive gamble

Not ready how? To ride a bike of class ;)

LBS don't have any of the above bikes. Hence need to spread the net. I am not really buying solely on the advice on strangers. I am asking for objective opinions from people that know bikes. Believe me I have done all of my research and read every review and watched every YouTube video.

I had never ridden my previous bikes before buying and I haven't regretted any of them. In fact if I don't go Boardman I may well keep my current bike as a winter bike. It's served me well. Four boys stop the weekend away, but a great idea. Downside is my wife has no interest in bikes, at all. She thinks I am mad, but aren't we all?

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

Where can you get a Giant advanced pro 0 from, for under £2500?

The Defy? Second hand with maybe a couple of hundred miles on it. 2015 bike that has barely been anywhere. It's immaculate. You wouldn't know it was no brand new.

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't worry, I'm not that selfish. The wife and family will be very spoiled too. I've worked hard for this bonus, and they have supported me. We won't be leaving them out.
You must get a rather bigger annual bonus than me...which wouldn't be hard!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm no roadie, but for sportive/distance riding, I don't think a short wheelbase twitchy TT-type frame is a good idea.

That rules out the Giant and Specialized.

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

I'm no roadie, but for sportive/distance riding, I don't think a short wheelbase twitchy TT-type frame is a good idea.

That rules out the Giant and Specialized.

There you go, some objectivity. That's what I need.
However current Boardman is as short wheel based as any, cramped but so stiff and fast I love it. However you are perfectly correct in that cycling wisdom dictates a more relaxed fit for longer distances.

Mike!

Guru
Only 2 meet all of your requirements with one of those on a long lead time and you are unable to see it.

think you may have answered your own question - the defy!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
buy nothing till YOU know what you want or just save the dosh and keep on using current machine

In my experience, once you want a new bike, even if you have no idea what you will do with it, you will get one. Once you have chosen a handful where you would be happy with any of them, there is no harm in asking other peoples opinions about them. Its a good idea for the OP to buy now while he is finding bikes that he likes at such a good discount.

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

In my experience, once you want a new bike, even if you have no idea what you will do with it, you will get one. Once you have chosen a handful where you would be happy with any of them, there is no harm in asking other peoples opinions about them. Its a good idea for the OP to buy now while he is finding bikes that he likes at such a good discount.

And thank you sir! Exactly!

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

Only 2 meet all of your requirements with one of those on a long lead time and you are unable to see it.

think you may have answered your own question - the defy!

In my head it's the Defy, in my heart it's the venge and upgrade it to Di2

Top Bottom