Please help me make a decision!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
I need help guys as my head is going to melt. I am very lucky because on Friday I receive a bonus through work. I have sign-off from the boss (Mrs Heisenberg) to spend a portion of it on a new n+1, which I am super excited about. I currently ride a Boardman 9.4 elite SLR. Very light, very stiff, very racy, SRAM Red groupset, Mavics etc. Great bike.

However because 'I feel I'm worth it' and I have 'shiny spoon syndrome' (army term for wanting something better and having to have it) then I really fancy fully modernising to both Di2 and preferably discs too. I ride my c15 miles commute every day, maybe 50-60 miles weekend rides most weekends, summer night rides etc. I am not in a club, doing Crit's or TT's etc but this year I have already entered 3 sportives (may do more) and have a whopping London to Edinburgh four day ride with work colleagues. Hence its a good year to trade up. I feel this year my cycling will be stepping up another level.

After weeks of internet based research and a bit of help through here I am down to just five bikes. However I am really struggling to choose between them. If someone gave me any one of the five I would be a very happy man. Because I have to choose then I am struggling. Please help me to make decision!

Bang up to date and very sexy, slightly more endurance (geometry) based version of my current bike. A £3500 bikes available brand new under £2300. Fantastic bike but do I want something different or stick to what I know? No doubt a fantastic bike but little in the way of real world reviews.

image.jpeg

A very nice 2015 Defy Advanced Pro 0 in stealth black. Awesome reviews! Another £3500 bike available for under £2500. I have been into LBS and these look even better in the flesh!

image.jpeg

Staying with Giant the Propel Advanced 0 with its aero frame, race geometry and bling paint job. Di2 thrown in and a truly sexy bike, again with great reviews. No discs but who needs to worry about stopping when you're setting a new KOM, right? Again a brand new 2015 bike available for less than £2500.
image.jpeg

As suggested by you guys the gorgeous Rose Xeon CDX. Fairly rare and very sexy bike. However being a very impatient person the lead time doesn't excite me. If I am honest the bike doesn't excite me the same way others do but I know it would be fantastic. Available in budget at less than the £2500
image.jpeg

Or as a complete left-field option this truly spectacular Specialized Venge! I have always lusted after the Venge with its race geometry, swooping lines, deep wheels, aero bars etc. I like things a bit flash sometimes. It doesn't have Di2 or discs. It's at a fantastic price though and could be upgraded to Di2 and still come at about £2800 making it the most expensive bike in our list. Arguably to some it's also the most gorgeous.
image.png

What a dilemma! Please can you help me decide? We have five days until I hand over the cash for one of these five. Thank you. First world problems huh.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
What an unfortunate position you find yourself in, lol.
Reading your post it sounds like your current set up is racy, therefore I'm not convinced by the benefits of the Propel- especially if you're looking to spend 4 days on it, you have a Boardman already so I would take that off my list, the Rose doesn't float my boat but that's purely from looking at it- someone with riding experience may beg to differ, the Specialized doesn't tick off your requirements (despite being very s€xy), therefore for me it would be the Defy Advanced Pro 0.

If it was my money though I already have a Defy 1 so would probably go for the very close second Specialized.

^all the above is personal opinion and not based on any real evidence.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go try them

Aero bikes don't float my bike but having seen the Giant yesterday in the plastic it is an attractive bike, arguably because of the lovely colour

Or buy something completely different in steel or titanium ;)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
so let me get this right you have circa 2.5k burning a hole in your pocket and cant decide what bike too buy so you are asking total strangers for advice ............ mmmm

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

so let me get this right you have circa 2.5k burning a hole in your pocket and cant decide what bike too buy so you are asking total strangers for advice ............ mmmm

Yep, that's right. I need objective opinions not fuelled by my lust for sexy bikes (that sounds quite wrong having read it back) :blush:

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

Go try them

Aero bikes don't float my bike but having seen the Giant yesterday in the plastic it is an attractive bike, arguably because of the lovely colour

Or buy something completely different in steel or titanium ;)

Trying them would be great. Four are down south and one is in Germany!
Not sure I am ready for Ti or steel just yet.

vickster

Legendary Member
Trying them would be great. Four are down south and one is in Germany!
Not sure I am ready for Ti or steel just yet.
Just buy locally? You could always ask your LBS for a deal

Or take your wife down south for the weekend, you go try the bikes

Are you really going to spend £2.5k on a bike you've never ridden on the advice of strangers? On that basis, get the Boardman, less of an expensive gamble

Not ready how? To ride a bike of class ;)

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

What an unfortunate position you find yourself in, lol.
Reading your post it sounds like your current set up is racy, therefore I'm not convinced by the benefits of the Propel- especially if you're looking to spend 4 days on it, you have a Boardman already so I would take that off my list, the Rose doesn't float my boat but that's purely from looking at it- someone with riding experience may beg to differ, the Specialized doesn't tick off your requirements (despite being very s€xy), therefore for me it would be the Defy Advanced Pro 0.

If it was my money though I already have a Defy 1 so would probably go for the very close second Specialized.

^all the above is personal opinion and not based on any real evidence.

Is your Defy the Ultegra mechanical version? How do you find it in the real world?

Top Bottom