Please recommend a Tennis Racquet for a Beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
A local shop that sells and restrings tennis racquets would be a good place to start

Or there is a tennis centre near here for example that has a shop

Last edited:

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I was just about to put a nice racquet on eBay but it could be yours for a tenner plus postage (My Hermes £4 approx)

Wilson Hyper Hammer carbon 4.3 with a No. 2 Handle (4 1/4").

Used condition but still very presentable - ask if it is any good as I have no idea.

The cat has quite a useful backhand!

DSC00148.JPG

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I was just about to put a nice racquet on eBay but it could be yours for a tenner plus postage (My Hermes £4 approx)

Used condition but still very presentable - ask if it is any good as I have no idea.

View attachment 89161

^_^ So you save on ebay fees, and I save time hunting the Charity shops, or getting perplexed in a shop. No 2 handle - is that about average? I have medium sized hands for a female.

Are you sure the cat won't mind?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I know we know lots on here but asking a bunch of cyclists about hitty sticks is asking a bit much.

I know there have been a few golfers allowed in, but tennis is banned. :laugh:

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral

View attachment 89161

Yes, please I would like your racquet. The 4 1/4" handle sounded big. So I have experimented with a roll up piece of card that size, and yes, I can hold it easily. There is no rush for me to receive it, as the College is on half term next week, so the earliest I would be attempting to play tennis again is in about two weeks.

If you pm me your paypal address, I will send the payment later today.

My two cats prefer chess to tennis. It is a sort of gymnastic chess and is played with the cat from three doors down.

sittingbull

Veteran
I think 27" overall length is standard adult size.

The number 2 handle, 4 1/4" would be an ideal starting point, Smaller grips give more dexterity but may strain the wrist (long term), larger give more stability for power shots. Double taping will increase by approx.one grip size.

A friend of mine :whistle: played as a beginner in a club a while ago. Please don't ban me him :smile:

Grip size guide:

grip_size.jpg

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
£10- bargain? It should've been at least 15 or even 30 love.

sittingbull

Veteran
Thank you @sittingbull. I have used that guide and my measurement is 4 and 3/8. If you met me, you would know that I am built for power, not speed. So I think 4 and 1/2 will be fine for my purposes.

My measurement was 4 1/2" which I started with, then moved down to 4 3/8" double wrapped for comfort.

I think 4 1/4" or 4 3/8" should be fine for you, 4 1/2" may be too big.

Top Bottom