Pocpac Phone case and Onelife id....Brilliant!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HB_Dude

Yesterdays Posite brought me a nice new Pocpac iphone case with Onelife id kit ..... all I can say is for £11.99 what a great bit of kit.
A weather proof case for the phone that allows use of screen and camera, marked up with medical/ emergency logos and a Onelife id QR tag. ( see links below )
It even lets you set up a screen saver on you phone displaying vital info whilst keeping your phone locked!

The pac is also available as a plain pouch.

http://www.thepocpac.co.uk/shop/onelife-id-ipac/
Test-OneLifeiD-1000-web-500x500.jpg

https://www.onelifeid.com/page/products#MINI_TAG_ID

Personally I'm very pleased with mine, and whilst it may not have any official health/ emergency service input, backing, or endorsement, I do think that anything that could help in a bad situation is a good thing.

Last edited:
I work in the health service and this should be carried by all cyclists, not to mention other groups!!
More and more of the countries emergency services have access to digital info on the roads and the first thing looked for once they're stabilised you is your phone...... this simple pouch and tag could save your life, yes you have to digitally sort some personal information, but if it A, helps keep me alive or B. notify my family that I've had an accident I'm all for it!

Please can we stop perpetuating the myth that Emergency services look for your phone, never mind making it a priority.

The reasons are so very simple....
1. you cannot guarantee that a phone belongs to the individual, and without hat guarrantee the information is either useless or dangerous if you treat for a non-existent problem
2 Phones are fragile, and break, so are unreliable.

By all means wear some form of ID, but make it something that can be reliably linked with the victim such as an ID band or chain, and will actually work when needed!

(Edited)

Last edited:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Looks like a good case for all your bits & bobs I am not sure if the phone ICE thing works or not just in case the phone gets broken in an accident, I wear one if the Road ID wrist bands with all my details on but I guess you can never have too much ID on you in an emergency.

How well made & durable is the wallet ?

OP
OP
HB_Dude

HB_Dude

How well made & durable is the wallet ?

It's pretty god tbh, nice thick plastic, good solid seems and the zip is fairly good too..... its not waterproof so it can't be submerged but other than that not bad at all, should keep the worst of the weather off.
Its much better than a similar item I got of a certain auction site a while back.

Pocpac sell the plain pouches with out the id tag too.

400bhp

Guru
If cunobelin is correct (that emergency services dont look for a phone) then I agree with him, you are being disingenuous.

OP
OP
HB_Dude

HB_Dude

If cunobelin is correct (that emergency services dont look for a phone) then I agree with him, you are being disingenuous.

You missed the post being edited accordingly!

Here ya go...and feel free to quote me!
' I think its a good pouch for any phone, or other item of tech that will fit in it......... I personally also like the free tags that came with it, although these are of questionable usefulness'

yello

Out of interest, I googled and found the blog of a paramedic....

We opened her vomit covered bag and got out her mobile phone to hunt for 'Mum' or 'Dad' in the phone book. If we were really lucky we'd find an ICE (In Case of Emergency) contact. For those not aware, ICE contacts was something that started in 2005 and the idea is that everyone has a contact in their phone book called ICE so that in the case of an emergency an ambulance crew, police or hospital staff can contact your next of kin.

http://www.tryingmypatients.co.uk/2013/02/ice-ice-baby.html

The actions of one paramedic doesn't indicate policy, and I accept what's been said previously... so just saying.

Out of interest, I googled and found the blog of a paramedic....

We opened her vomit covered bag and got out her mobile phone to hunt for 'Mum' or 'Dad' in the phone book. If we were really lucky we'd find an ICE (In Case of Emergency) contact. For those not aware, ICE contacts was something that started in 2005 and the idea is that everyone has a contact in their phone book called ICE so that in the case of an emergency an ambulance crew, police or hospital staff can contact your next of kin.

http://www.tryingmypatients.co.uk/2013/02/ice-ice-baby.html

The actions of one paramedic doesn't indicate policy, and I accept what's been said previously... so just saying.

As before..... this blog ignores the main flaws with in the ICE system

1. Is the phone working and charged
2. Are you absolutely sure it belongs to that patient
3. Is the screen locked making it inaccessible
4. If you get past the screen lock, are you familiar with that phone and able to navigate the menu to contacts.
5. Contacting relatives is simply neither a priority or task for paramedics. This is the task of the Police, or the Hospital

It reality the blog would read:

We opened her vomit covered bag and got out her mobile phone which fortunately was charged and undamaged. Even luckier the screen was not locked so we were able to access the phone.

Then I was fortunate enough to be able to familiar with the menu system and able to hunt for 'Mum' or 'Dad' in the phone book. If we were really lucky and all these factors were in our favour we'd find an ICE (In Case of Emergency) contact.

The best advice is to carry a fixed ID (ID band / necklace / wallet etc) as a primary identifier and than back up with electronic systems as you wish

However don't pay for the privilege.

Simply compile the information in a notes program, take a screenshot, and save it as a a *.jpg then make this the lock screen image.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HB_Dude

HB_Dude

All of the above observations and points may be valid and correct, but.......

..... the whole point of this is that,
A. you get a screen save that displays ICE info and a photo of you.....even if screen is locked, well i does on my iphone
and
B. there is also a tag with basic ICE and med alert info and a link to an online server that shows your details with a picture of you.

Simply compile the information in a notes program, take a screenshot, and save it as a a *.jpg then make this the lock screen image.
or this

You still have to buy any other kind of medical talisman

classic33

Leg End Member
As before..... this blog ignores the main flaws with in the ICE system
1. Is the phone working and charged
2. Are you absolutely sure it belongs to that patient
3. Is the screen locked making it inaccessible
4. If you get past the screen lock, are you familiar with that phone and able to navigate the menu to contacts.

5. Contacting relatives is simply neither a priority or task for paramedics. This is the task of the Police, or the Hospital
Given the tip on setting up an android handset, so that a number would scroll along a locked handset, from a Paramedic.
Don't carry one with me, but I do have a mobile and it has been used, by those in the ambulance service to prove who I was. On more than one occasion. If they are called to attend, then I'm usually out of it and unable to answer.
I'm also aware that both the ambulance service and police will seek some means of identifying a person incable of giving a response. A small laminated, printed card, containing my details, Drs details, current medication and known allergies is carried. As they will search for any ID.
This was another "Urban Myth" that has since been laid to rest.

Top Bottom