Point me at some moustache handlebars please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mrs Crackle wants some on her bike as she is most impressed with the comfort of the one's I have on one of my bikes. Now mine are made by etc and if I could find them on the net they would be perfect but alas, alack, I cannot.

The only ones I can come across which are similiar are here, the Reece Northroad being the closest to the Etc's I have. I'd really like a bit more choice because they sweep up a tadge much, though at a pinch they'll do.

So anyone know any more models or websites?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm sure you could persuade her to use the next best thing.. on-one mary's

or how about these or

these

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I'm sure you could persuade her to use the next best thing.. on-one mary's

or how about these or

these

The On One's are not bad actually, not quite as much sweep back as the ETc's but the others sweep back too far for the riding position, which is her rigid mtn bike, so she's not sat upright but leaning forward a bit.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The On One's are not bad actually, not quite as much sweep back as the ETc's but the others sweep back too far for the riding position, which is her rigid mtn bike, so she's not sat upright but leaning forward a bit.

I concur. Marys on my singlespeed rigid mtb shopping/pub bike. You might need a stiff stem but I like the flex, as it matches the frame.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I concur. Marys on my singlespeed rigid mtb shopping/pub bike. You might need a stiff stem but I like the flex, as it matches the frame.

You don't have a picture of your bike with a pair on do you. I thought I recalled seeing one but I can't remember where?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I've just taken the drops off the Vaya and put some Mary bars on, went from a 100 to a 120mm stem and have a 130mm one on order. The flex seems ok to me, but then I've gone for the 31.8mm clamp and, compared to butterfly bars they're like a rock....but this is road riding. These were the Mary bars I already had awaiting the new 29er frame, elbow issues led to me trying them on the Vaya and my elbow is thanking me deeply, so I've ordered another set for the impending MTB.

If/when fitness improves and weight comes down the Vaya may move back to drops, but I doubt it. The comfort is great and I've got plenty of scope to lower them, at saddle height at present, as and when I want.

Oh, also fitted a set of these Zoom bars to Janes bike at lunchtime, they look very nice, definitely more flexy than the Marys which is good for Jane right now:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270725455372&ssPageName=STRK:MERFB:IID

will try and take some pics later and post up

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You don't have a picture of your bike with a pair on do you. I thought I recalled seeing one but I can't remember where?

frankenbike%20005.jpg

frankenbike%20003.jpg

frankenbike%20001.jpg

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Thanks Greg. I like them, I like them a lot actually. They wouldn't look as incongruous on a mtn bike as the bars I have. I shall show them to Mrs Crackle later.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

After a long discussion, we went for these, which are similiar to the Mary's. Mrs Crackle thought the On One Mary's a tadge expensive for her needs. I'd have gone for those Zooms MacB but I couldn't find them in silver/Alloy just Black and White.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
After a long discussion, we went for these, which are similiar to the Mary's. Mrs Crackle thought the On One Mary's a tadge expensive for her needs. I'd have gone for those Zooms MacB but I couldn't find them in silver/Alloy just Black and White.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Got mine for quite a bit less than rrp thank goodness.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

All done

2011-07-07%25252013.38.54.jpg

2011-07-07%25252013.39.03.jpg

Don't mention the back garden, it's on my To Do list!

So, new bars on, new grips, new SKS Commuter mudguards, a word on which later, and some Specialized Nimbus tyres I had, put on, all ready for our summer family mini tour.

Also replaced all the cables and lubed and greased everything and trued the wheels.

I won't be buying the SKS Commuter guards again. It's not that they're bad, it's just that they could be better. The back one was no problem but the front needed the stays shortening and a section cut out to accommodate the V-brake. It also sits too high as the hanger is too short, so you can't really move it down. They were only £15 so can't complain too much.

Jezston

Über Member
It looks like those mudguards were designed for 700c wheels fella. I'd recommend you take them back but it looks like you already lost the plastic bits off the end of the stays - don't blame you though mine only lasted about a week ;)

OP
OP
C

Crackle

It looks like those mudguards were designed for 700c wheels fella. I'd recommend you take them back but it looks like you already lost the plastic bits off the end of the stays - don't blame you though mine only lasted about a week ;)

No, I think they're meant to be universal. They're bloody wide for 700c only guards.

And good spot. The plastic bits are still on the bench.

Top Bottom