pointless bicycle accessories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I must be a clippieist then.

Seriously though i see people commuting through busy traffic everyday clipping in and out at every stop or trying to perform track stands. Click clacking around on cleats in shops and café s. When just using flats should be so much safer.
What possible benefit do commuters and non racers gain by attaching their feet to the pedals which outweighs the inconvenience and possible danger from using them.
There are numerous threads on these and other cycling fora, debating the advantages and disadvantages of using cleats, so I suggest you search for them. I could repeat them here, but of course I'd just be regurgitating previous content. There are good reasons why some cyclists use cleats, just as there are good reasons to wear lycra (for example).

There are numerous threads on these and other cycling fora, debating the advantages and disadvantages of using cleats, so I suggest you search for them. I could repeat them here, but of course I'd just be regurgitating previous content. There are good reasons why some cyclists use cleats, just as there are good reasons to wear lycra (for example).
Road bike: 1 year on flats. 1.5 years clipless. 1.5 year flats. No real difference to average speed across the years.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Road bike: 1 year on flats. 1.5 years clipless. 1.5 year flats. No real difference to average speed across the years.

I just find clipless comfortable in that I know my feet are in the best possible position on the pedals. Having said that, I can imagine in an urban environment they are a nightmare and I would definitely use flats. As it is I might do 20 miles without having to unclip around here so it's fine

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I just find clipless comfortable in that I know my feet are in the best possible position on the pedals. Having said that, I can imagine in an urban environment they are a nightmare and I would definitely use flats. As it is I might do 20 miles without having to unclip around here so it's fine

You're first point is spot on, your second, not so.
It's a case of you just get used to it and clip/unclip without even thinking about it, whatever the traffic. Far from a nightmare. But then again, everyone is different.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I didn't say sit up position, or suggest flat bars.

fair point.- I'd slighly conflated your post with the anti clipin pedals folks.

You're dead right on mudguards though. I've never understood why it's better to have a wet arse

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've no idea what they're called... micro-donuts maybe. They're fitted to my break and gear cables where they run along the top tube, presumably to stop the exposed cable rattling against the frame and chipping the paint. They always work their way along the cable and render themselves ineffective. And my frame has no paint to chip.
Oddly enough I replaced my brake cables at the weekend. I transferred the micro-donuts over with a great deal of care. I think they are the best bit of my bike.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Oddly enough I replaced my brake cables at the weekend. I transferred the micro-donuts over with a great deal of care. I think they are the best bit of my bike.
If you've ever been driven bonkers by a cable rattling against the top tube you'll see the point of them.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
You're first point is spot on, your second, not so.
It's a case of you just get used to it and clip/unclip without even thinking about it, whatever the traffic. Far from a nightmare. But then again, everyone is different.

I'm just a bit rubbish at clipping back in and keep having to look down and faff about with the pedal. Maybe it's cos I don't do much of it...I should come for a ride in London with you guys

Alan O

Über Member
I'm just a bit rubbish at clipping back in and keep having to look down and faff about with the pedal. Maybe it's cos I don't do much of it...I should come for a ride in London with you guys
I don't use "clipless" pedals, I still use clips and straps (with no cleats), but I think the most important skill to learn is to be able to fasten in without having to look down or faff. To me it's now instinctive, and I flick in and pull out without even thinking about it - and I presume the same is true of expert clipless users.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Anybody seen the things call cats ears that attach to a helmet and hang down just infront of you ears to cut wind noise.The silliest thing i'v ever seen

They do look silly and they cost a very silly amount of money, but if you ride somewhere hilly and windy like round here then you would soon experience the problem that they aim to solve!

I keep seeing those Cat Ear things promoted on Facebook and have often wondered if they're any good. The idea behind them is sound and I'd love to try them to see if they actually work.

Could you not just use a buff for under your helmet? That could cover your ears.

Not ideal on a warm day.

Any bike light with safe distance lasers just seems driver baiting...

If the drivers can even see them! I tried out a light with laser line markings and they just get lost in a car's headlights. Totally pointless.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Quite. For the same reasons as:
Riding a bike with a stretched position, when something a bit more relaxed would be more comfortable
Riding a bike with clearance for 23mm tyres when clearance for 28mm and mudguards would be more practical
Wearing team kit
Wearing a helmet because pros wear them.
I think you may have missed the rapier-like subtlety of my post.

Top Bottom