pointless bicycle accessories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Clippies are for racers and track riders.

Thanks for the information, I will get rid of all my "Clippies" immediately as I don't fit the requirements.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Cyclists have been trying to figure out a way of linking their feet to their pedals since 1895. http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.history
Must be a lot of foolish, misguided people out there obviously! Can't we put this to bed? Use cleats or clips if you want, don't if you don't!
I think you're taking this thread too seriously.

When pedals were crap and slipperery, the obvious solution was to somehow attach the feet, when all the average rider needed was a better pedal. Many cyclist think they're above average and set about proving this by having the same or similar kit to the professionals, from inconvenient footwear to an over priced hat and everything in between... which brings us to the pointless 'team' kit worn by people who aren't in the team.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Overpriced helmets and team kit worn by people not in the team* - I'm with you there :okay:
* and world champions jerseys worn by those who aren't.

OP
OP
tommaguzzi

tommaguzzi

Über Member
I must be a clippieist then.

Seriously though i see people commuting through busy traffic everyday clipping in and out at every stop or trying to perform track stands. Click clacking around on cleats in shops and café s. When just using flats should be so much safer.
What possible benefit do commuters and non racers gain by attaching their feet to the pedals which outweighs the inconvenience and possible danger from using them.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Quite. For the same reasons as:
Riding a bike with a stretched position, when something a bit more relaxed would be more comfortable
Riding a bike with clearance for 23mm tyres when clearance for 28mm and mudguards would be more practical
Wearing team kit
Wearing a helmet because pros wear them.

Mmm, a sit up position: far better not to be able to duck down if there's a headwind, and work harder to go slower. And having a choice of hand positions is such a nuisance. Next revalation is that heavy bikes with rusted unoiled chains with the brakes rubbing are even better

Top Bottom