pointless bicycle accessories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Next time you're out see how many bikes still have them fitted. An item so unwanted is pretty pointless.
Well...

As a signed up member of the velominati, I have to confess that for purely sentimental reasons, my single speed still sports her reflectors.

She is in concourse condition, save for a scratch on the top of a single headset bolt. Spoiling that seems worse than the shame of being spotted riding with reflectors.

Plus safety and all that stuff.

Spoke reflectors.
I like spoke reflectors, and spokey dokeys, and playing cards attached to the frame, that go through the spokes, and make your bike sound like a motorcycle.

gaijintendo

Veteran
This: the umpteenth reincarnation of indicators for bicycles.

At any price they'd be a farking joke but this guy wants to retail these at £200!

View attachment 348589
View attachment 348590

Thankfully he failed to reach even half of his crowdfunding target so there's every chance it'll die a horrible death, hopefully costing him enough of his own money to put him off any similar stupid ideas.

Any bike light with safe distance lasers just seems driver baiting...

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Well...

As a signed up member of the velominati, I have to confess that for purely sentimental reasons, my single speed still sports her reflectors.

She is in concourse condition, save for a scratch on the top of a single headset bolt. Spoiling that seems worse than the shame of being spotted riding with reflectors.

Plus safety and all that stuff.

You scratched my (@CarlP 's) bike?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ear plugs? Semi-serious suggestion as they were a must for me on the motorbike due to the wind noise, modern ones cut the buzz but still allow you to hear

I do live somewhere hilly and windy,I'm in Scotland and i just use ear plugs.
D'oh - I didn't think of that ... That should do the trick! :wacko:

I am a bit hard of hearing (not helped by repeated wind deafenings!) so I would have to see if I could still hear other cyclists talking to me and be able to hear vehicles coming up behind me.

Could you not just use a buff for under your helmet? That could cover your ears.
I often DO wear a buff under the helmet in cool conditions and I didn't think of THAT either! :laugh: I'm not sure if that would cut the wind noise enough, but it would be easy to give it a go. Not so good in warm weather though since I won't wear a buff then.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Bells - if you're only riding on roads. Slightly ridiculous to ride an expensive carbon bike and be dinging a little bell at everyone. IMO anyway, please don't kill me!
LED ankle bands which they sold in Aldi a few years ago
I like most Hi-viz, but those shoulder strips that they sell are a bit pointless.

snorri

Legendary Member
Those stupid mini pumps they try to flog you in the LBS, 5 mins to change the inner tube 20 mins pumping away to get half the pressure you actually want in the tyre - it's enough to make you think about giving up cycling.
Good ranty tone in that post, keep it up!:okay:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
for me its...

The polystyrene hat full of holes that some folk think is a helmet.
The unnecessary toe clips / clipless pedals that folk think generates more power... starting and stopping is easier without. They offer virtually no benefit.
The stupid little computer that got me trying to up my average and increase my max... got rid and now i don't give a sh!t.
Lycra... its not big, it's not clever... just don't go there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom